Pairing my Lightning Maroon

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let them play with each other for a little bit. I would stay by the tank and watch for 20-30 mins before I step away. If one gets pinned down or is clearly getting bitten then I would separate again.

saltmine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let them play with each other for a little bit. I would stay by the tank and watch for 20-30 mins before I step away. If one gets pinned down or is clearly getting bitten then I would separate again.
So far things seem ok. They immediately had a pretty big fight but it was all mouth to mouth, which seems better than terrible chasing. The larger clown is hanging out up near the top where it prefers to be, and the other is down where it tended to be before, but not hiding as much.

They’ve locked jaws three-ish times since then, but that’s what it’s supposed to be, right? They definitely don’t seem to want to be near one another.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far things seem ok. They immediately had a pretty big fight but it was all mouth to mouth, which seems better than terrible chasing. The larger clown is hanging out up near the top where it prefers to be, and the other is down where it tended to be before, but not hiding as much.

They’ve locked jaws three-ish times since then, but that’s what it’s supposed to be, right? They definitely don’t seem to want to be near one another.
They calm down usually after a couple hours or it will never happen. If they are both tiny you have a chance.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a close eye on them. Locking mouths isn’t the best sign. But I would be hesitant to leave them out alone for any long period of time if your not going to be around the tank.

saltmine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on full watch duty. They haven’t locked mouths in a bit, and I have seen this behavior a lot more frequently. Definitely still chasing.

the more aggressive one will go up to the other and they’ll get like vertical and swim without fighting

I uploaded it to YouTube https://youtube.com/shorts/i87VltazI_M

saltmine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s the one chasing. It’s extremely weird. It is the chaser but it’s smaller and it does more wiggle dances. I have not seen the bigger one initiate an attack except when the smaller was in the breeder box.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little guy might be super submissive and the bigger one is just more chill. I’ve seen that before and the big one won’t do much until littler guy just ticks get off enough. This was with a 5” female and a 1.5” male though.

saltmine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm ok. I am worried that the behavior before was agggressively tail slapping the other or something. I think we got unlucky getting a surly small clown whereas the larger is chill, but not larger enough. Would it be feasible to keep them separate until there is more of a growth difference? Or would that take way too long? They’re both approximately 1-1.5in right now.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to try that it might take a few weeks if not more. If you did do this I would make sure they can still interact with each other so as to not let them both turn female.

saltmine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to try that it might take a few weeks if not more. If you did do this I would make sure they can still interact with each other so as to not let them both turn female.
They are in the same tank with a clear breeder box. Whoever is out will come round the box every hour or so and interact with the other fish. I feel like our clowns are more Stephen King than Bozo in behavior....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back