OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@coral reeftank just got me thinking more. A couple years ago when sps started dying off. It was unexplainable to me. Nothing changed fundamentally. I sent off icp tests - no issues, even sent an aquabiomics test - no issue or pathogens and actually tested very well in the 80th percentile and as a mature Reef, lights and pumps were also the same. Ever since I’ve had large anemones, sps have never done well. My other tank without an anemone, no issue

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly what I noticed too! It must be an organic compound that they secrete that cant be tested for on the icp tests.

I think in nature anemones are mostly found in places where there are only anemones. I rarely see nems in wild photos of acros and vice versa. So it might just be that nems clear out the space in order for them to propgate and split themselves.

I’ve seen acros, specifically millis send out mesenterial filaments to clear out nearby algae to make room for new encrustment.
I wouldnt doubt that convergent evolution led to this path with nems in the ocean.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the anemone and put it in the stock tank frag tank not attached to the main tank. Running carbon and will do a water change tomorrow. I’m interested to see what will happen in the time to come. The tank looks naked now haha

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting and the first time I have read that anemones could be bad for sps not by stinging but also some kind of chemical warfare. It just happens that I just removed my CSB also that was in front of a green digi that was starting to stn. The green digi never touched the CSB but was directly down flow of it. The CSB has been rehomed and I placed a new green digi in the same place as I totally lost the other one. My montiporas were also just surviving (not growing but would have waves of color to pale) with all parameters in check including icp tests.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back