Pallet aquarium stand

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I made an aquarium stand from pallets. I just wanna make sure it is safe.
IMG_20210219_171350.jpg

IMG_20210219_171344.jpg

IMG_20210219_171339.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe as in how safe?

Pallets can be used to hold bottled water.
They can be used to hold toxic chemicals like acids.
Some are used to hold boxes of fresh chickens packed in ice. It does melt and the red water mix harbor a lot of unwanted bacteria.

Structurally is prob fine. There is some flex in the cross boards.

OP
OP
G

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your fast reply. Cross boards were like that. I will put plywood (or something like that) and foam under the tank to avoid any stress from the pallets.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your fast reply. Cross boards were like that. I will put plywood (or something like that) and foam under the tank to avoid any stress from the pallets.
For pallets I would have used the plastic solid top ones. I am in the freight business and these are the ones used by many beer companys.
If you have a way to band the pallets together, use the plastic bands, it will be much more stable.
With that said I have my 275 gallon tote sitting on wood pallets in the garage for ro/di storage in order to get the correct height for a 5 gallon bucket under it.
20210220_061601.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feel more comfortable with it if the edges of the tank were directly over more substantial structure that the planks which can be really thin and flexible. At the very least, I would add a top of 3/4" plywood extending to the edge of the top pallet. I don't doubt the ability for the pallets to support the weight, just concerned they are much more flexible than the rigid edges of the glass aquarium which could lead to unsupported edges = leaks or cracks.

OP
OP
G

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feel more comfortable with it if the edges of the tank were directly over more substantial structure that the planks which can be really thin and flexible. At the very least, I would add a top of 3/4" plywood extending to the edge of the top pallet. I don't doubt the ability for the pallets to support the weight, just concerned they are much more flexible than the rigid edges of the glass aquarium which could lead to unsupported edges = leaks or cracks.
Unfortunately i can only get 1/3 inch (8mm) thick wood. Should i double it or get 3/4"?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they stacked only or stacked and secured to each other?

Yes, I would absolutely put a full piece of 3/4" ply under the tank and spanning to the edges of the pallet as that is where most of your strength is located.

I'm curious; why have you chosen this route for a stand?

In all honesty, at first glance, I'm not liking this idea.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, metric system in Europe. I would double it

OP
OP
G

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they stacked only or stacked and secured to each other?

Yes, I would absolutely put a full piece of 3/4" ply under the tank and spanning to the edges of the pallet as that is where most of your strength is located.

I'm curious; why have you chosen this route for a stand?

In all honesty, at first glance, I'm not liking this idea.
They secured at every level by two washer screw. Should i put the tank on one side (so that side have full support), or just stay in the middle. I choose this type, because its fit in the room style and massive.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from someone in the shipping business, pallets will hold thousands of pounds, should be no problem for the aquarium. Its a little redneckish looking though, maybe you can put a sheet or blanket around the pallets to hide them

OP
OP
G

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from someone in the shipping business, pallets will hold thousands of pounds, should be no problem for the aquarium. Its a little redneckish looking though, maybe you can put a sheet or blanket around the pallets to hide them
Thank you for your response. I think so, not worried about pallets, actually half ones, but the bending, cause the tank is shorter so there is no direct support at the ends.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add the plywood you should be able to keep the tank centered without a problem.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WHAT? you don't like the rustic look? I've seen a lot stranger things done with pallets:D

OP
OP
G

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add the plywood you should be able to keep the tank centered without a problem.
Just finished the cutting of the two plywood, 3/4" (2 cm) thick in total, size of the pallet, full length full width. Tomorrow i will get the plyfoam as well.

Thanks all of you!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The strength in tank stands are at the edges of the stand, not in the middle.

Sorry; I'd buy or build a proper stand.

OP
OP
G

gabe.sari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3/4" plywood under the tank in the full length of the pallet, now looks massive enough!

Thanks all of you again!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back