Paly or Zoa?

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I got these from my LFS where they were being sold as "Some kind of Zoa" though the guy helping me is more of a fish expert than a coral expert. After looking around I am thinking they might actually be Palys which makes me a bit nervous reading about their toxins. Just wondering what you all think? Had any experience keeping Paly's, if so how concerned should I be?

IMG_2904.jpg

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say paly.

That being said some zoas also have palytoxin. I've kept and handled many zoas and never had an issue. As long as you aren't scrubbing rocks with them out of the water you should be fine.

Some people wear gloves in the tank, I do not. If I handle any zoas I just wash my hands when I'm done. I wash my hands after being in the tank anyway but if you handle zoas just be more diligent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a captain jerk paly - one of the more toxic ones.
Also, I’d get that off the rock ASAP, they spread like wildfire.
Thanks! Yeah I'm going to move it to an isolated island and probably trade it back in to the LFS. I'm not too worried about the toxin but I have kids and as much as I want to believe they wont get their hands in there, I don't want to risk it.

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I'm going to move it to an isolated island and probably trade it back in to the LFS. I'm not too worried about the toxin but I have kids and as much as I want to believe they wont get their hands in there, I don't want to risk it.
Right there with you. My three year likes feeding the fish and sometimes gets her hand in the water which is an immediate hand washing since I don't want her getting any of the water that has zoas/palys into her mouth or any where else.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back