Palythoa or aptasia

mark cid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if I have a palythoa garden or aptasia outbreak?

I’m thinking the red is aptasia but not sure about the yellow circle? I could use some help?

8CE0E481-30E6-462C-945C-77884C1369B0.jpeg

E4D4A2DA-1F58-4149-A227-DC6F5EF7BF95.jpeg

2CFB9588-5C21-4C07-B333-564A1DEDC886.jpeg

8B0D373D-D4EF-41D8-A29F-1D5AAA7F866B.jpeg

OP
OP
mark cid

mark cid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My paly garden is growing like crazy... any way I can remove some of it? Is is dangerous to remove? Someone said it’s nasty.. like how?

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think the first pic shows a Majano anemone (still a pest) and the others look like aiptasia

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My paly garden is growing like crazy... any way I can remove some of it? Is is dangerous to remove? Someone said it’s nasty.. like how?

Like one of the deadliest toxins on the planet nasty. Use gloves and glasses if you are going to try to remove them in a destructive way. Carbon should help to.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Palythoas can spread throughout your tank, crowding other corals.

I'm dealing with this at the moment. It's a pain. Removing rock with them, kalk paste, manjano wand....... Plenty of GAC and water changes..... Little at a time. Proper PPE......

OP
OP
mark cid

mark cid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I bought this coral as a tiny frag..... my LFS told me it was a palythoa and it wouldn’t grow to much... any advise on how to remove it do it doesn’t over grow other corals? There’s a big chunk of rock I can remove at the bottom that grew on to the live rock.. should I get rid of it? Can I use aptasia x to kill it off?

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I bought this coral as a tiny frag..... my LFS told me it was a palythoa and it wouldn’t grow to much... any advise on how to remove it do it doesn’t over grow other corals? There’s a big chunk of rock I can remove at the bottom that grew on to the live rock.. should I get rid of it? Can I use aptasia x to kill it off?
I know you already know this by now but research anything you buy before you buy it from now on... As far as the palys, Don't make an aerosol with the paly juice as in, don't powerwash it, definitely do NOT boil it. You could make everyone in the house sick. Scrape a couple heads off every day with a razor blade and tweezers to grab the big pieces you cut off. I wouldn't do more than maybe 5 or so every day or every other day. Wear gloves and eye protection. The ones on the bottom look like mojanos, a pest but not like aptasia. Hope that helps.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back