Palythoas creeping on euphyllia?

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking hitchhikers until they started scaring me a bit. Should I worry about either the Palys or Euphyllia?
20200118_181655.jpg
20200118_181655.jpg
20200118_181647.jpg

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people say the hammer will keep them at bay and others say the palys will keep on growing.

I guess i'll find out. I have a torch on one side of a big rock and a hammer on the other side. The idea was to keep the zoas/palys within that area of the rock. It doesn't look like the hammer is having much effect on the paly.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys will keep growing. Those sweeper tentacles of the hammer are 6-8” long they have been hit for awhile if already that high up. Could try getting the palys to start growing on something else, lean something like a frag disc so toiching their base. Should overtime start to move onto it. After you have some heads in the disc place where you want them. Then. Take the hammer out and with gloves, goggles and an xacto knife get rid the others. Can try to frag these too by placing in an an upside down clear cup with frag plugs.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys will keep growing. Could try getting the palys to start growing on something else, lean something like a frag disc so toiching their base. Should overtime start to move onto it. After you have some heads in the disc place where you want them. Then. Take the hammer out and with gloves, goggles and an xacto knife get rid the others. Can try to frag these too by placing in an an upside down clear cup with frag plugs.

Will palys do the same with a torch coral? thx

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will palys do the same with a torch coral? thx
Torches can be a bit more active in stinging, but really depends on the two corals. If the palys start creeping inside the sweeper tentacle range more and more, safe to say the palys will eventually win.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches can be a bit more active in stinging, but really depends on the two corals. If the palys start creeping inside the sweeper tentacle range more and more, safe to say the palys will eventually win.

thanks. I am going to have to rethink how I am going to place the 14 frags i have acclimating to my lights--5 of those being paly/zoas.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch is a tonga torch and my hammer a frag of an indo. Luckily they have gotten along together torches can be iffy in euphylia gardens. Zoas and palys all have varying growth rates. If can look up which ones you got and how fast they grow can arrange with the fastest on an island, slow nearer each other. Will buy you time for needing to trim.
Mind you mileage varies tank to tank. One tank one maybe a weed grower, another a new head only every 3 months.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Palys will overgrow. You can get Red Sea Aiptasia-X and put a line of it along where the palys are growing and it will kill them off for a few months.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back