Palytoxin research

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, well you guys have been most helpful in me establish a foot and hand hold back into the hobby ,I thought I would share my findings up to this point but first a little Backround on me. I'm from Nashville was originally a member before I went off to school. I had absolutely idea no what I wanted to do after school . So I got my emt licenses while in school did that for a while realized I wanted but i wanted to do more.long story short 2 major changes I am now premed. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for almost 4 years and find myself studying and wanting to learn about most the drugs I dispense, so I do. Then I was starting to see palytoxin stuff pop up, so my mind went to the pharmacy .... You would be surprised how many prescription drugs are actually derived organisms found on this planet.an example of this is digoxin it is derived from the fox glove plant.the reason . I use the term similar very very loosely So I found something to occupy more of my time. Over the past few months I have set up the 1 aquarium and started growing out sustainable colonies to collect test subjects from. I know that I am know where near a professional and this research has many holes and I understand that,this is meant to just get a foundation for hopefully someone much smarter than I am to build on.

Palytoxin brief overview
I have been reading reading and reading some more about palytoxin however there is not that much out there.
Basically it is deadly stuff depending on how it enters your body ie mouth not nearly as deadly as iv,but either way just take my warning don't mess with it. The ld50 which is the amount that was lethal to 50%of the test subjects is still speculated and what little data there is is averaged to about .8 mg per kg of test subject weight.
The structure of the palytoxin is ridiculous it is the deadliest non peptide toxin. It mechanism of action basically shuts you down at the cellular level. It messes with the basic essential of the cells to live.
I am currently working with people from the chemistry department so that I can get a better understanding of this stuff because it is really fascinating stuff. I will post updates as I get them done but I just wanted to share. Again like I said still in the early stages and most of this info most of you already know. If you see any factual mistakes or have any info that might help out let me know.

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL..

you will have to pardon Bart. he has been eating his Zoanthids lately... heard they had good things in them.....

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also a big research going on in sponge research and have found promising cures for stuff from ocean sponges. Was on some show I was watching a cpl months ago

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya thanks for sharing that I came across it somewhere, they were talking about the symptoms and what do to to fix it ...... Short version is has anyone send the movie the rock ? Sean Connery and nick cage ? Well I think somewhere it said the only way to combat the symptoms is a direct injection in the heart ... Don't get me wrong im a risk taker skydiving , bungee jumping.... But after reading that I went out and order a couple extra pairs of arm length gloves !!!!!!! The more I read, I find the more unique the toxin is ..... Bed time class at 7

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for a hot post I'll post the new stuff later. Anatomy test in 5 min then work ....busy day

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started talking to my son (Genious double degree in Biology and Microbiolody, currently working his M.D.) and he is going to do a little research when he has time. he was a school teacher here for 8th grade science (and ran a tank in class for a project), so he will help break it down into words I can understand! Also, some supplier has posted a rather large informative article on it, so check back for that info (i can;t find it again t the moment, I know, not helpful).

It's not unknown, just a prevalent case gone viral and an unfortunate reminder to all of us to be careful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy have your son shoot me a email or text. He sounds like me triple major double minor the hopefully medschool ....

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy have your son shoot me a email or text. He sounds like me triple major double minor the hopefully medschool ....
Could be He's is the middle of Exams for the next 2.5 weeks and will be down here the end of March, and thats when I am going to speak with him on this. He also did Cancer research and got published at the University Of Washington in conjunction with Fred Hutchison caner research a few years ago, so I am sure you guys have a bit in common.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back