Palytoxin strikes again!

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across the following article today. This is local in Louisiana for me. Curious if he is a part of this community.
In the article it just says he cut his arm with the rock that evidently had some palytoxin on it. It doesn't mention any way that it became airborne to spread throughout his house, which I thought was only possible through boiling the rock or running hot water on it. His dog was killed and family harmed. Any thoughts on how it may have harmed the entire home? Last thing I want to do is put my home in harms way via the second most deadly toxin in the world, because I love my zoas and palys!

https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/articl...r-fishtank-coral-releases-toxin/277-557670658

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just microwaved my live rock, boiled it, and poured the soup that ran off in to my eyes. I need to set up a go fund me for new eyes.

On a completely unrelated note, I’d really like a Shelby Cobra.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just microwaved my live rock and boiled it and poured the soup that ran off in to my eyeballs. I need to set up a go fund me for new eyes.

LOL!

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All jokes aside, I'm removing 2 Zoas from the frag plug tomorrow..

Any precautions I should follow? I'd love to be able to visit this website later in the day lol...

I'm buying latex free gloves and I have every possible fragging tool...

Edit: IM cutting under the glue correct?
e3245d1f52fce15e000a31d4cbc8bf48.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wear gloves, eye wear and respirator. Paranoid perhaps, but I drop things and make splashes all the time and always glad I did. I recently dropped a tiny piece of rubble rock into my maturing bucket and the drop literally went straight to my protective eye wear. Nothing poisonous there, but still made me think.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All jokes aside, tomorrow im removing 2 zoas from frag plugs. Luck
I would wear gloves, eye wear and respirator. Paranoid perhaps, but I drop things and make splashes all the time and always glad I did. I recently dropped a tiny piece of rubble rock into my maturing bucket and the drop literally went straight to my protective eye wear. Nothing poisonous there, but still made me think.
Noted, I have masks that are used to mix Chemotherapy. Better be safe then sorry or in this case.. dead.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just microwaved my live rock, boiled it, and poured the soup that ran off in to my eyes. I need to set up a go fund me for new eyes.

Gold.

Yeah his gofundme is telling lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back