Palytoxin

LVREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright been doing reefs for 8yrs; fragging for 4ish and never had a problem until now. Tuesday I notice some zoas not opening so I did a dip with hydrogen peroxide and found a couple of things so I decided to dip the rest and put them all back in my quarantine tank. Wednesday night I got a call from my boss no work on Thursday so I woke up 6:30-7:00am and started dipping. Dipped two batches and made a new dipping solution and dipped two more batches and was placing them all in the quarantine tank. I finished the whole operation around 10:00am. At about 1:30 I starting getting some weird feelings. I was achy all over my body and increasingly tired like I was getting the flu then I started coughing and had pressure from within my chest. Assuming heat association, I drank water and relaxed indoors but I was restless as all he11. I started getting a feeling like my brain was hot then it sent a heat wave down my neck. I could feel a waving motion down my neck and directly after that it felt like the tips of my ears were on fire. My stomach started to hurt and getting dizzy so I started thinking food. I ate and laid down only to realize sitting still only amplified my symptoms. I had an epiphany so I got up to google palytoxin and found a link to a familiar website and the last sentence in the first paragraph had me going straight to the E.R. Palytoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Before I left, I called Poison Control (PC) they were no real help but they did call the hospital before to prepare them; which did not speed things up at all:( During the wait I informed them of the entire situation. As time passed and I paced (restlessness and subduing all of my symptoms) my lips went numb and it tasted like I had a quarter in my mouth. My arms and legs starting tingling. All other symptoms got stronger but with the heat in the brain came cloudiness and dim vision (it seemed they dimmed the lights in the building) like I was going to pass out so I warned the front desk, still no triage, 2 minutes later they came and brought me straight back to a room. All my vitals were elevated a bit but normal my temp. periodical went up to 100. They drew blood and waited 3-1/2hrs for the results white blood cell count was at 19,000 and the toxin levels were not disclosed to me but "they had to wait for PC to get back to them..." I started feeling better about hr. 3. I felt the worst was over at hr. 6 so I asked to leave. They called PC back I guess no bad news so they released me. When home and with some struggle I finally got some sleep but woke up with craps in my legs and stomache. I am feeling better but I still felt some dizziness. It was by far the weirdest thing I ever felt; how well I could feel all of the sensations was unreal.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks!!!! Vegas hospitals suck even more haha... There was just a thread about this exact thing the bubbles from the h2o2 was making the toxin air borne and they were being inhaled... Wow man was this just today or yesterday??? Hope every thing looks up and you get better... Maybe our hospitals will be a little more knolodgable if some one else in our neck of the woods gets it....:cry:

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'd be freaked out to if I had "craps in my legs";) Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I actually had an episode a couple of months ago with dipping zoas/palys in hy. peroxide. I posted my experience on here somewhere and I'll post a link if I find it. Hope you are feeling even better tomorrow.... scary stuff.

Edit... Here's the link that I mentioned. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-discussion/59376-peroxide-warning.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LVREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday. NO ONE knew what it was. I had to spell it for the PC then they asked me am I sure?! YES I know what I am exposing myself to and I am sure some stuff I dont know but what I can learn and have heard about... always learning... Hope its not first hand again but you live and you learn.

walkerbrody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had it twice. The first time I freaked out a little, no hospital though. It started with a strange metalic taste in my mouth, then went to chills, hotflashes, and cramps. The second time I knew what It was. I took 3 benadryl and went to bed.

Brent Ward

Fanworm farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I frag in my kitchen near my vent hood. 1200cfm and open windows gives me piece of mind.

Glad your feeling better!

bluepit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats some seriously dangerous stuff . got to be careful bro.i got squirted in the eye once and I washed it out immediatly but it sill irratated the crap out of my eye

OP
OP
L

LVREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling much better today. Been taken mad vitamins to help my immune system. Need to find some gloves anyone got any good gloves recommendations?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back