Palytoxin

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m convinced palytoxin is very much a real thing and I am allergic to it. I recently discovered that is can go dormant after many years. I used to have a ton of them in my tank. Few years ago I started eradicating them. I had gotten sick on a few occasions. This time around those rock I eradicated sat in a bucket for a few years. Couple nights ago I threw some water in the bucket with miratic acid as I want to replace a few rocks that have them on in my tank. Anyways. I started to feel the symptoms. Last night I pulled the rock and scrubbed it. Late last night it really hit me hard.

I believe they can go dormant and still have toxins after many years.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is a chemical toxin, not an organism. It doesn't go dormant, and there is no 'they'. Use bleach in water to neutralise it on rocks that have any palythoa or zoanthids. As far as I recall reading, the toxin itself breaks down in saltwater after a few hours.

Clearly you're having a reaction to something in your tank, you should consult an allergist.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is not a protein like most toxins, so is likely it takes far longer to decompose than those. Guessing anyway. Glad you are safe now :)

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there zoas which are known to NOT have palytoxin. I know some dont but it seems like nobody knows which ones lol

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there zoas which are known to NOT have palytoxin. I know some dont but it seems like nobody knows which ones lol
The corals themselves do not make the toxin but the dinoflagellates inside them. That even one variety that doesn't in one reef it is possible on another that specimen picked up a dinoflagellate that makes it. Its best when fragging zoas or palys to always practice some general care, gloves, eye protection, face mask as they spit.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the aquarium trade end of things, people can't even agree what's a palythoa and what's a zoa. Not surprising when things get ridiculous names like super nuclear orange crush frootloops from space (should I throw in the word indo too just to make sure)?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the Palys not really zoas that have palytoxins at toxic levels.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the aquarium trade end of things, people can't even agree what's a palythoa and what's a zoa. Not surprising when things get ridiculous names like super nuclear orange crush frootloops from space (should I throw in the word indo too just to make sure)?
You have to use scientific names to distinguish them. The average aquarium keeper knows nothing about that is in this day.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use scientific names to distinguish them. The average aquarium keeper knows nothing about that is in this day.
Try telling that to a store that will happily extract 10$ a polyp from newbies and not tell them about the possibility of situations like the OP of this thread who gets itchy, a racing heart and can't breathe.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scientific difference between the two Is palys use sand in their tissue, zoas do not. There are palys on the market sold as zoas, and vice versa. Both can have large mouths, long tentacles.
Either way both spit at you. Toxin or not getting coral gunk in your eye could result in a very dangerous infection.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock sat dormant in a bucket, dry. I did not do anything else in my tank. What led me to believe this is I felt mild symptoms the first day as I sorted through the rock. I put the ones I wanted in the acid bath for 24 hours. After that I drained that water and observed the rock. There is still a film growth over parts where the coral were. I filled up the bucket with more rodi and miratic acid to do another treat. That night is when the sickness came full force.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said above, if you're convinced there's still palytoxin on those rocks, it is known to be neutralized by bleach. I have no idea what effect muriatic acid will have on it.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed slight symptoms before using the acid.
How do I go about removing the matting from the coral? Will the bleach water do that?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back