Panda's First Nuvo 20

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180602_191423_resized.jpg

This is currently my set up after a month. I've been researching everything saltwater for about three years and counting. I have done mistakes already without realizing, mainly due I'm excited itis. Currently happy with the set up. Pic taken with phone sorry

Cycle start date: 2018 May 07

Equipment list:
Stock return pump (Will be upgrading soon)
IceCap 1K gyre
Eshopps Protein Skimmer
AI Prime HD
InTank Media basket w/ floss, carbon and Bio media balls and stock filter sock on the other end
IM ATO (Currently not installed)

Dosing:
Red Sea NoPoX 1-2.5 mL every other day.
Brightwell pH buffer 2.5 mL every other day around 2300-0000
10-15% WC with reef shop synthetic (Keep forgetting what they use)
Red Sea Energy A&B en route

Parameters: (All based from Reef shop. Red Sea test kit en route)
Calcium 360
ALK 7.8-8.4
Other parameters done via API test strips (Red Sea version en route as well)
NO3 0
NO2 0.5-1
pH 7.5-8
KH 180
GH 120

Live Stock
x2 Occelaris
x1 Black Ice
x1 Leopard Wrasse
x1 BTA
x5 Hermits
x6 Random snails (three miraculously disappeared)
x1 fire shrimp
x1 fighting conch

LPS:
x1 Duncan
x1 Torch
x1 Galaxea (I don't know if this belongs in this group)

SPS: Recently introduced as of early this week)
x1 Red Dragon Acro
x1 UC Strawberry shortcake
x1 Blue Acro (Impulse buy)

Both LPS and SPS fed with reef roids every other evening

AI Prime HD settings:
UV 53
V 65
RY 65
B 65
G 4
R4
CW 40
1100-1930 w/ 1 hour ramp up and down
Eight inches above water line

Future livestock and/equipment:
x1 Deresa or Maxima clam
x2-3 random Acro's
x1 AI prime HD

My questions:
1. I've noticed that most tank calcium levels I've read from this forum is about 400-440. Should I be concerned regarding my current Calcium levels? Calcium level taken a week after WC. Will try to get new reading with new WC.
2. How soon should I purchase my second AI Prime? Does my current set up merit a second prime?
3.Once clam and other Acro's are introduced. Should I be using 2 part or lime water. Dosing pump is somewhat out the question due to personality that i should be partaking something everyday in tank instead of automation. Yes, I understand that dosing should be implemented due to better parameter stability.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. That's a nice tank but you have a lot going on in a months time. I'd hold off on adding anything else to the tank, especially a clam until you have the tank under control. It takes time for the tank to mature and for you to understand the tanks uptake and how to keep the tanks alk, calcium and magnesium stable. You can add another light anytime. This hobby is exciting for sure and were happy you joined. Better test kits are definitely worth the money. Hannah checker, red sea, salifert are all good. #welcometor2r

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. That's a nice tank but you have a lot going on in a months time. I'd hold off on adding anything else to the tank, especially a clam until you have the tank under control. It takes time for the tank to mature and for you to understand the tanks uptake and how to keep the tanks alk, calcium and magnesium stable. You can add another light anytime. This hobby is exciting for sure and were happy you joined. Better test kits are definitely worth the money. Hannah checker, red sea, salifert are all good. #welcometor2r

Thanks. Every post I've read regarding clams stated at least six month prior introducing clam so I'll wait. Test kit will be from Red Sea test kit. The stock i have right now is from my can't wait itis. I'll be posting close up pics of corals sometime today.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up my Nuvo 10 build, it should give you some ideas. I’m running the BRS Radion clone setting on my AI Prime HD. My light is exactly 8 inches from the water surface.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up my Nuvo 10 build, it should give you some ideas. I’m running the BRS Radion clone setting on my AI Prime HD. My light is exactly 8 inches from the water surface.

Thanks man. I checked it out and I was off by a few numbers which is not bad. I love your 10 nuvo setup though

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone chime in on this. I'm thinking of getting another prime for the tank. When I do, should keep the my current settings or bump it down a little and slowly back up to current settings? Don't want to burn both sps and lps.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question. Is this green algae or early stage of coraline? I remembered reading an article stating that coraline can be green at first then purples up. Tried to scrub to no avail.

IMG_0445.jpg

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 5.5 update:
Leopard wrasse luckily enough is now eating frozen mysis aside from the copepods that she picks off the glass
All three clowns are still alive but contemplating about replacing them with a pair of phantoms.
Duncan grew in size
Torch is steadily growing in size
No considerable growth noted on hammer
Acro's are doing fine but have reacently noticed white 1/2 to 3/4 inch strands coming out from all three acros. Would this be their sweepers?
Added extra dry rock.
Will upload pics in the AM.

Concerns:
Alk is consistently at 12
Cal fluctuates from 380-420 (No water change performed for consistency purposes)
pH averaging 8.5
All parameters checked with Red sea kit and at reef shop.

Plans:
Second AI Prime en route
Planning on upgrading to Nuvo 40
Want to bite the bullet regarding clam

I'm really happy with the way this tank has become even though a lot of this (livestock) were rushed in the tank. Only noise heard is the staock return pump (will be replaced soon) and a slight humm from the gyre.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. Recommendations for monitoring systems. I find that the Neptune is very sought after and i also saw on Marine depot that the system can now monitor for Cal and Alk for a pretty penny. Would a monitoring system be uuseful for my set up or should I just get the Seneye for basic parameter checks?

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I've been using an Apex on my nuvo 20 Black. I love all the options and information it provides. It's a solid controller.

The green algae is normal for the age of the tank. You have a heavy stock for the tank already. I'd be faithful to water changes.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an Apex on my nuvo 20 Black. I love all the options and information it provides. It's a solid controller.

The green algae is normal for the age of the tank. You have a heavy stock for the tank already. I'd be faithful to water changes.

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning more towards the apex except for the price but, just like any hobby you get what you pay. This coming from my previous hobby with RC cars lol.

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning more towards the apex except for the price but, just like any hobby you get what you pay. This coming from my previous hobby with RC cars lol.

You do get what you pay for in the hobby. I bought quality equipment this time around and its paid off so far. You should check the used section for a controller it will save you some money.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back