PandoraChalk's 14 Gallon Aqueon Tank (Concluded due to tank failure)

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image_123927839(2).JPG

(As of October 12th, 2021 on Week 9)

(Updated October 22nd 2021)
Quick Tank Equipment/Hardscape Facts:

- 10 Week Old Tank as of 10/19/21
- 14 Gallon Aqueon Frameless Tank with a random Marineland Stand
- Tidal 30 HOB with an Aqueon 100 watt heater
- Ai 3 Nero Powerhead
- Hipargeo 30w light
- Rock is Carbisea Liferock with Carbisea Live Sand

Stocking - Fish/Inverts
- 2 Wyoming White Clownfish
- 1 Banggai Cardinal
- 3 Trocha Snails
- 1 Nassarius Snail
- 1 Cerith Snail

Corals
- 1 Frag of Brown Warlock Zoas (Added October 11th 2021)
- 1 (very small) frag of Pulsing White Pom Xenia (Added October 8th 2021)
- 1 Small Torch (Added October 11th 2021)
- 1 Fungia Plate Coral (I think?) (Added October 11th 2021)
- 1 Frag of No Idea (White and Green) (Added October 18th, 2021)
- 1 Frag of No Idea (Red with Yellow mouth) (Added October 18th, 2021)

Weeks 0 - 9

Planning and Equipment Months (July - August)
My first weeks were getting the equipment together and waiting for an RO system to arrive. Our local tap water is absolute trash, TDS of 300+. I barely use it for my freshwater setups and there was no way I was going introduce this bile into a saltwater setup. During this time I had been binge watching Youtube videos, reading articles, and absorbing any information I could find on saltwater. Initially it was daunting, but as more equipment started to come in and my research broadened, I realized that I could relax a bit. With my shrimp tanks and the axolotl tank, my wife and I are very on the ball on testing. We test them once a week, and we have equipment in place for water changes. I simply bought salt only equipment (buckets, pump, hose, tools, droppers, etc) to handle anything this little tank would need.

The biggest hurdle was with the rock itself, and what to trust. Many guides said to start with simple dry rock, with Carbisea touted as a good starter if you wanted that purple look out of the gate. A few suggested live rock, but had extra steps to make it safe. One thing keeping freshwater tanks over the years has taught me is some items are exaggerated to the extreme when it comes to advice on perils you can face. I was going to start with live rock, but after seeing prices at local stores I went with the more reasonably priced Carbisea liferock instead.

My light is a Hipargeo 30w LED I bought off of Amazon, suggested by someone at a LFS for a good starting light. I went ahead and spent the dollars on an Ai Nero 3 pump, since the tank is so small I wanted something I could adjust, and carry with me to bigger tanks in the future.

For HOB I originally started with a spare Aquabox 20 I had, but quickly moved to a Tidal 30 when the Aquabox was showing many of the things I had come to hate about it in the past such as a not self priming pump.

Getting the tank setup! (August)
I spent over 3 hours placing rock and trying to decide how I wanted it to sit. Originally I almost said screw it and bought some marco rock and tried for something fancy with fiberglass poles and using a drill, but I figured I would save such grand designs for a bigger tank down the road if I enjoyed the smaller tank. What I ended up with I enjoy, but I find myself questioning some aspects of the rock work in regards to flow.

Week 0 Saltwater tank setup with a pair of Wyoming White Clowfish floating in a bag for acclimation.

(3 Days after initial fill, pair of Wyoming White Clownfish floating).

I used Turbostart to jump start the tank, and after a few days introduced the first members of the crew: my two Wyoming White Clownfish. They took to the tank immediately and were very active. From here on out I started a spread sheet and checked water parameters every other day, slowly down to twice a week which is what I do now.

image_40041759.JPG
image_123927839(3).JPG

(They had some pecking matches the first few weeks, hince the damaged fins)

Seeing issues on the horizon - Water changes
I realized immediately that I was woefully under prepared for water changes. With generating RODI water, mixing salt, and getting it to temp, I had no good buckets to do this at a volume for this tank. I went out and purchased a second heater, and a better bucket with a lid. Now I keep pre-mixed water sealed on hand, and when it is time for a water change I stir it, let it get to temp, and test it for gravity. This has helped tremendously!

Adding some inverts, letting things play out, learning what I like and dislike about my equipment (September)
September was the month of letting things ride and monitoring the cycle. It was also the first real set of time I started using a light timer and playing with this light. I have come to find that I dislike this light. I plan on replacing it soon, but the +/- button system is cumbersome, and I feel the light has a poor range on the sides of the tank. This is also the month that I replaced the Aquabox with a Tidal 30, which actually helped to increase O2 saturation I am fairly sure and cut ambient noise down to nothing.

By the middle of September I had come to find that I was seeing fish poop and the random uneaten pellet on the sand bed. I went to the local pet store and purchased a blue legged hermit crab who came with several shells that it loves to drag around the aquarium randomly. It's been a heck of a worker, and shortly after the crab's arrival I started getting diatoms and algae. Following the hermit, 3 Trocha snails were added who have been monsters in keeping these rocks clean.

hermit picture.jpg
image_123927839(4).JPG

(Blue Legged Hermit hamming it up and the lone surviving Banggai)

End of September I added two Banggai Cardinals, who enjoyed hanging out under the main rock work and around the back of the tank together. Anytime the Clownfish picked on one another the biggest Banggai would swim over and hit them, essentially breaking up the fight.

First Fish Death, Adding Corals (October)
My first coral arrived from LiveAquaria on October 8th, and I was in for my first test. Corals had made me a bit nervous, when you read about them you get a mix of "even the hardiest of coral will DIE if you LOOK at it funny on a FULL MOON" and others talk about the same corals being Terminator levels of durable. After research, I decided to go with Pulsing Xenia because I'm a madlad who invites the danger of a tank being overrun.

So imagine my shock when I open the box and see the frag broke in half off the plug, and the coral in two pieces floating in the bag. The overall frag if in one piece was already tiny, but now it was two super tiny pieces. One was jammed in the corner of the bag pinched in the plastic. The other was still on a piece of the frag plug, but upside down and smashed down by the rest of the frag debris in the opposite corner pinched. I calmed myself and started acclimation. I used coral glue to glue the pieces to two small hunks of liferock to give them their own islands, and set them up high. Both were completely bleach white, and one was smashed in. It took several days but one has finally colored up a bit and started to open and pulse, but the other is still slowly stretching out but no pulsing yet.

On October 10th, 2021 I woke up and went to do my morning check on the tank. I was only able to account for one Banggai. I knew there was no way it could of jumped out as I have a glass lid. I looked high and low, until I seen stuck to the bottom of the Ai Nero's intake his body. I removed it and it was dead, probably stuck there for most of the night. I did a 50% water change just to be safe and disposed of it.

On October 11th, I went to the local fish store and picked up several corals for my tank. I am drawn towards zoas and torches, and I grabbed one of each. A plate coral they had really stuck out to me as well, a small orange plate with hints of green at the base of each tentacle. All three have opened up and have been doing well in the 48 hours I have had them as of this writing. I am still a bit confused on the plate coral, as I am not certain how a 'happy' plate should look. I am sure this is overreacting on my part though.

Future Tank Plans - Coral and Light
This Friday (October 15th) I am wanting to go pick up a few other corals from the local store. I was going to get them all at once but decided to stay my hand in case I came home and these perished overnight.

I am looking into buying a better light. I have my eyes set on an Ai Prime. I want something I can easily adjust and get better feedback from the unit. This light is okay, it works and corals seem happy, but I can tell that later down the road I am going to really feel the pains of this thing. It will be a good backup light in any case.

Concerns and Questions
Right now my concerns are with my coral. My plate coral in particular has me a bit... perplexed? The gentleman at the store was very helpful, but I am unsure what a healthy plate coral should look like. This one has tentacles up, and the little bubble thing is up. I have yet to see it puff up, and it has yet to move around. The tentacles go down when lights go out, so I am taking this as a good sign. I am also concerned with my torch in if the placement is decent. Right now it is as substrate level, on frag plug still getting low to moderate flow and moderate light. It has branched out some, about as big as it was at the store and gets movement. I wonder if this is a poor long term location? I also want to try to allow my zoa to expand off the frag towards the rock, the lip of the cave. I think I may need to move the frag.

plate.jpg
unnamed.jpg
image_123927839.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate Tank Update
I am sitting here at my desk working on some writing and I look over to see my hermit crab picking at the flesh of a zoa polyp and eating it.

He has been re-homed to a FOWLR tank a friend has since I don't want to risk having a rogue crab going nuts. :( I had read blue leg generally won't go after them, but he was clearly hacking away at the base of the zoa polyp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a small water change today (10%) as I normally do. Been tracking some of my trace elements over the past seven days now that coral is in the tank and happy to see they are lowering as a slow rate. I think Alkalinity will be my first worry as things grow. Ammonia, Phosphates, and Nitrates are all stable at 0/0/5ish

My plate coral is looking funny today, it's pulled in on itself a bit. It had gotten a bit of sand on it during the water change which I removed as gently as possible. I hope it's nothing serious and just a reaction to being touched, it's been doing great so far and has barely moved, and kept it's short tentacles out.

image_123927839(6).JPG

(I see a tiny speck of sand on the edge, that speck was further in so it must be working it off itself)

I am looking into food for my coral as well. May get Reef Roids to feed once a week.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few pictures using a color correction app on my phone today of some of the corals. Turned out okay, I do want an actual standalone camera though since I have multiple critters to film. I also was able to get pictures of my xenia finally! They were not kidding, these grow fast!

E80918BF-EB10-4023-9F74-4DBCF221314F.jpeg
1D6C5CA8-796C-4855-B167-8033E66C5196.jpeg
2765F4FD-D7A8-475D-BE47-6BE52433B0FF.jpeg

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up two small frags of Zoas yesterday! Not sure what the name of these Zoas are, but I like how they look. :) I also picked up a nassarius snail but it's uh, off burrowed somewhere. My coarl dip arrived also, so I was able to dip my zoas. Nothing came off of them that I could see in the container, but peace of mind and all of that.
C00BD863-8A63-479A-A14D-A18F144B946C.jpeg

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I had the same tank with a freshwater planted setup. I decided to upgrade to a slightly larger size in the 25g Mr. aqua when I started my reef tank. I love the look of cubes!
Thanks! I am considering looking into an upgrade for this one only because I have heard some horror stories of the seals being poor. I figure easier to upgrade now while the tank is young than a year down the road. LFS has the 28 gallon cube that is supposed to go with this stand. It's a Marineland so it's no rimless, but I'd feel more comfortable.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am considering looking into an upgrade for this one only because I have heard some horror stories of the seals being poor. I figure easier to upgrade now while the tank is young than a year down the road. LFS has the 28 gallon cube that is supposed to go with this stand. It's a Marineland so it's no rimless, but I'd feel more comfortable.
I can't say no to a bigger tank! I will say the upgrade from 14x14 to 18x18 is quite noticeable, so I'd imagine the 28 gallon would be even nicer. Take a look at sevenports.com. They have some rimless cubes and I believe they are the distributor for Mr. Aqua and bunch of other oems.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if hermits are known to eat corals. Maybe it was just pinching it while trying to pick some algae or something off it. My emerald crabs used to pinch my zoas, but they weren’t actually tearing them. Off to a good start!

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say no to a bigger tank! I will say the upgrade from 14x14 to 18x18 is quite noticeable, so I'd imagine the 28 gallon would be even nicer. Take a look at sevenports.com. They have some rimless cubes and I believe they are the distributor for Mr. Aqua and bunch of other oems.

I really like the look of the tidelines as well, the AIO is nice especially for a smaller tank. If I get something bigger I'd love to get one that is drillable (so that Marineland would be right now since they are tempered) so I can add a small sump under it if possible. Overflow HOBs seem fine but make me a bit nervous.

I’m not sure if hermits are known to eat corals. Maybe it was just pinching it while trying to pick some algae or something off it. My emerald crabs used to pinch my zoas, but they weren’t actually tearing them. Off to a good start!

I thought the same thing, unfortunately it had pulled half of a polyp off and while it may of not been eating it, it's something I'd rather avoid now than deal with it later. It's currently happy and healthy in a friends tank, apparently taking a liking to a small cave area.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of the tidelines as well, the AIO is nice especially for a smaller tank. If I get something bigger I'd love to get one that is drillable (so that Marineland would be right now since they are tempered) so I can add a small sump under it if possible. Overflow HOBs seem fine but make me a bit nervous.

I thought the same thing, unfortunately it had pulled half of a polyp off and while it may of not been eating it, it's something I'd rather avoid now than deal with it later. It's currently happy and healthy in a friends tank, apparently taking a liking to a small cave area.
That reminds me that the emeralds did end up pulling a few polyps off the plug, but I just glued them elsewhere.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 10

Hitchhiker
I noticed that my Brown Warlock Zoa had an odd looking thing sticking from it. After checking here with a question thread + some google image searching I found it was a feather duster worm that had buried itself in the rocks. The Zoa polyps don't seem to mind, thankfully.

New Coral and Snail
Picked up the two Zoas above yesterday and was able to actually dip these as my dip came in. Nothing came off, but I still did a visual inspection as best as I could with a flashlight between polyps during the dip. I also picked up a Nassarius snail, which has been plowing through this sand bed like crazy.

Coral Plans
I want get a few more zoa frags to surround the lip of the cave entrance, but otherwise I'm in a bit of a pinch. I have a large section of flat surface at mid level of the tank that is empty, and an island of rock off to the side. Originally I was going to slap some GSP on that rock island, but I may throw a mushroom or a frogspawn on it. No idea what I will do for the top of the rock.

Plate Coral Woes
My plate coral is starting to whiten on top, I think the skeleton may be showing through? No signs of skin falling off that I can see. I moved it to a bit of a lower flow area and a bit darker of an area since parameters are in line with what it should like.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check salinity every evening and manually top off with a dab of RODI water I have in a gallon jug. The last few days the temp has been dropping outside and in the house, air getting drier. Woke up this morning and evap'd quite a bit! Noticed zoas were shut still, I keep water at 1.026, was at 1.028! Topped it off and we're good now. May look into an auto top off system today after work.

Did a parameter check as well using API test kit (Other kits are in the mail):
Ammonia - 0
Phosphate - 0
Nitrate - 10
Alk - 9
Calcium - 400

It's water change day today anyhow (cookin some RODI water as I type this), so Nitrates will go down a bit. I have been working on getting the Banggai to eat reliably, so been using frozen food which everyone loves.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New coral dip arrived today so I re-dipped my Zoas as I had a suspicion that one may have more than a worm. Nothing I could tell came off, but I want to play it safe.

Picked up a cerith snail today which is already going to town on the remaining diatoms on the sand and what little algae is on the glass. I want to get a second one. Local store has a marine fish sale starting Saturday, going to get a cleaner shrimp and maybe replace my banggai that met an untimely demise on the power head.

Once things open up I will get another tank shot.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 10

New Arrival
Picked up a cleaner shrimp yesterday, who has been chilling out under the rock work. When lights went out he was out and about in the tank exploring, so that is good.
EE4FAB51-93A6-4B82-9DA1-A11CE6EC28A4.jpeg

(He's there, hiding... waiting...)
Clown Injury
My more aggressive clown, who I think is going to end up being the female in the tank, had a weird red spot show up on her head randomly halfway through the day. It is cleared up this morning, so my guess is she hit some rock work in a scrap or finally headbutted my torch coral.
540B78E1-E42B-49B5-9004-14C7FEE98BA0.jpeg

(The first rule of fight club is never talk about fight club)
Group Shot
Here's a good shot of my tank as of yesterday as well before the shrimp went in. I left the blues on higher than whites because one of my zoa groups likes to shut when the blues come down. I am still looking at what coral to put on the flat top in the middle of the tank.

A70ED817-B2ED-40DC-926D-BE03DD5D5437.jpeg

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to frozen food which has had a massive impact on the tank's life. The cleaner shirmp now comes out more readily, the Banggai seems to have more energy, and the clownfish are way more active. Snails are really enjoying it, they start moving once any of it gets on the sand near them.

I think for livestock I am good for now, I almost want to try a second cleaner shrimp, but right now I like what I have. If anything I'd get another Banggai to give me Banggai another buddy. Going coral shopping again this weekend, I think I am getting Zoa fever. I love how the ones I have look, and one of the local places has a decent variety of colors.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 11

New Coral

Went to the LFS to pick up a new tank for a freshwater project, but they had failed to get it from their warehouse to the retail outlet in time. Instead I walked out with some budget corals!

01649D13-B9EC-4D5C-9091-8B32E1A334D0.jpeg
AB594430-1076-4D0B-B8E3-1348F994CE69.jpeg

There is another zoa frag in the tank but it had yet to open up.

New Light
Depending on what happens with this freshwater tank, if they do not have it available like they said they did I am going to use that money for a new light for this tank. Ai Prime is what I am going to get I think.

OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 12

Cleaner shrimp died during a molt today. Came home from work and molt was in tank and half of it’s legs were in the molt and it’s lifeless body was sideways on the rock edge. Very sad, 3rd molt it had done in the two weeks I had it.

Corals are doing well, new polyps forming on the first zoa I had purchased a month ago.

Fish are doing well, the switch to frozen food has allowed the Banggai to be more active, which is a very welcome change.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back