Panther grouper and community tank.

SkillKing21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on buying a panther grouper but I just need to know weather it would eat my LPS coral or if there only for Fish only systems.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are ambush predators. They’ll eat any swimming creature that comes near them that will fit in their mouth. What I know of them is that they’ll leave your corals alone. They will eat anything else though. Dedicated predator tanks are best for them. Throw in a lion fish and a large moray eel. Perfect!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will not bother your corals at all. The reason for the caution when concerning reefs is that they will eat your inverts and any small fish. The only warning is that this fish gets huge and grows pretty fast, I wouldn't keep one in less than 200g, 300g better.

OP
OP
SkillKing21

SkillKing21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On some website selling panther groupers they day they just need 50g.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn’t look like a fish that will fit in a 50 gallon
Edit: not me or a fish I caught, first google image that popped up
896CBED0-7F0B-44F4-8DCC-E32C8326479E.jpeg

Last edited:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On some website selling panther groupers they day they just need 50g.

I wouldn’t do it. They get 12” long or better and they aren’t streamlined fish like a tang.... they’re thick bodied. They produce tons of waste cause they eat a lot. You’ll be buying silver sides minnows by the pound before long (not really, but you will be making regular silver sides purchases!) Hen they get bigger, you’ll not only need a big tank, you’ll have to have the filtration in place to handle the waste. Keep in mind also, that your other fish must grow at the same rate or they may become lunch. He will also be more likely to eat his tank mates if he’s cramped. I agree with @lion king ... if you want a super duper large and aggressive fish, please get a super duper size tank for him.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will rarely grow to their wildlife max size, unless you have, say, at least a 1k- 1.5kgal tank.

Also, keep in mind you have to feed such fish everyday, sometimes 2x or 3x, and the bigger they get, the more they eat...50gal is for the tiny size, at that size they are not hardy...LFS have large one's in small tanks because they will not be there long, and their water systems take care of the waste issue.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther Groupers are among some of the fastest growing fish for sale.....they will quickly outgrow all but the largest of tanks. To say some sellers are suggesting a 50g tank is laughable.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther Groupers are among some of the fastest growing fish for sale.....they will quickly outgrow all but the largest of tanks. To say some sellers are suggesting a 50g tank is laughable.
It is too bad that they do really. Would be nice if more retailers cared a bit more to provide better tank recommendations.

Showcasegars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallons is so disrespectful! I'd say at least a 300 gallon for a lifetime tank !

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panthers really shouldn’t even be sold in the hobby. Get huge and ugly. Unfortunately for them, they are one of the most beautiful fish that exists as juveniles.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back