PAR Degradation through air?

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks,

I'm running a 6 bulb T5 fixture over my tank (48"lx40"wx10" tall) and my fixture is 17 inches over the surface of the water. Long story short, is there a chart/diagram/cheatsheet that shows how much par drops over empty air?

I ask as if I place a coral in say three inches below the surface, is it getting hammered the same as say this chart:
imageproxy.jpg

I'm not the author of this pic, but just linking for example (And I'm running a 6 bulb Fiji sun fixture, not 4 bulb ATI)

I know the more lights you add you get a small (10-15%) increase in par, with a bigger "hotspot" directly underneath it.

So using the above for example, if I'm at say 600 at the surface, is that a reasonable assumption? Meaning that I'd be roughly 400 par on the ground in the middle of the tank. This is mostly for coral placement, as I don't want to cook the corals that prefer the 150-200 range.

Thanks!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks,

I'm running a 6 bulb T5 fixture over my tank (48"lx40"wx10" tall) and my fixture is 17 inches over the surface of the water. Long story short, is there a chart/diagram/cheatsheet that shows how much par drops over empty air?

I ask as if I place a coral in say three inches below the surface, is it getting hammered the same as say this chart:
imageproxy.jpg

I'm not the author of this pic, but just linking for example (And I'm running a 6 bulb Fiji sun fixture, not 4 bulb ATI)

I know the more lights you add you get a small (10-15%) increase in par, with a bigger "hotspot" directly underneath it.

So using the above for example, if I'm at say 600 at the surface, is that a reasonable assumption? Meaning that I'd be roughly 400 par on the ground in the middle of the tank. This is mostly for coral placement, as I don't want to cook the corals that prefer the 150-200 range.

Thanks!
Are you sure that the measurement is 3” below the surface? It looks like 3” above. Also, if it’s 3” below, then the chart suggests a drop of 200-400 PAR from 3” to 6”

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR certainly does degrade through the air. I couldn’t link you to a chart showing by how much but I can tell you from experience that the higher the height above the water the lower your PAR will be. BRS has done a lot of tests with different lights on their YouTube channel to help people find the optimal height above the water to mount lights. Maybe you will find something there? I believe they frequent this forum too so maybe you could ask them directly.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17" off the water line is really high. I have mine at about 6". I believe BRS recommended 6-8" for the 6 bulb fixture.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the link from BRS:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17" off the water line is really high. I have mine at about 6". I believe BRS recommended 6-8" for the 6 bulb fixture.
But their tank is only 10" deep so light to bottom is 27"..

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is high, but I'm more worried about burning the snot out of the corals because the tank is so shallow.

Missed the detail about the tank depth. May be worth renting a PAR meter from BRS or seeing if a local as one.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after watching the BRS video, I'm right where the tank needs to be. For example, WWC hangs LEDS 12-24" above the tank for coverage (and they use multiple fixtures for even coverage). So at 17" I'm still not spilling on to the floor or wall, and for the LPS/Leathers I'm keeping, I'm right where I should be.

To determine PAR, I'll have to rent a sensor :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks,

imageproxy.jpg

Thanks!

Your question just involves light angles leaving the fixture and spread w/ height.
Only minor difference between measuring "par" in free air (say from light to 17") and measuring from 0 (pretend the light is at the water surface) and 17" under water is the addition of refraction/reflections of the glass and water surfaces.

So if you measure at say 20" in free air it will be CLOSE to the same as 17" air/3" water.

ONE caution is there are a lot of measurement errors out there that might seem to prove otherwise but that is a long story.

I suppose I should add the air needs to be err clean.
Oh and I suppose that is a bit bandwidth dependent i.e high red absorption of water

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after watching the BRS video, I'm right where the tank needs to be. For example, WWC hangs LEDS 12-24" above the tank for coverage (and they use multiple fixtures for even coverage). So at 17" I'm still not spilling on to the floor or wall, and for the LPS/Leathers I'm keeping, I'm right where I should be.

To determine PAR, I'll have to rent a sensor :)

GOOD choice..

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS touches on it in this video as well:

So it really just comes down to renting a PAR meter :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS touches on it in this video as well:

So it really just comes down to renting a PAR meter :)

If/when you do get one please post your readings.
Head "cyphering" tells me you will be around 200-300 PAR at 5" deep and 17" height (22" effective height).
(corrected estimate)
Sounds low to me but we shall see.

Tubes/reflectors change things but one can get close w/ "pure science"..at least AFAICT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If/when you do get one please post your readings.
Head "cyphering" tells me you will be around 200-300 PAR at 5" deep and 17" height (22" effective height).
(corrected estimate)
Sounds low to me but we shall see.

Tubes/reflectors change things but one can get close w/ "pure science"..at least AFAICT

Even with 250 at 5" that is still half the depth of the tank. Using those numbers, roughly 100 on the bare bottom. I run white sand, so maybe 125 due to reflection at the bottom. I think at 3" it would be pretty close to the image, as those numbers are running a 4 bulb, and I'm running 6, with a fairly white K rating (Id guess 12kish, as I've got a 6500 in there, and only two blues)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with 250 at 5" that is still half the depth of the tank. Using those numbers, roughly 100 on the bare bottom. I run white sand, so maybe 125 due to reflection at the bottom. I think at 3" it would be pretty close to the image, as those numbers are running a 4 bulb, and I'm running 6, with a fairly white K rating (Id guess 12kish, as I've got a 6500 in there, and only two blues)
You need to account for the difference in 24" vs 48" tubes.. Cumulative par in the center region is higher..

2:13
Didn't give dimensions though.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - the drop in numbers is from spread and not because the air really slowed anything down. We tested once in an integrating sphere and it did not matter how far we had the light away. ...so technically, this is PAR degradation by spread. While air will truly degrade some PAR, this is not really an issue for any of us at a few feet. The difference is probably nothing to most, but might matter big-time to some.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - the drop in numbers is from spread and not because the air really slowed anything down. We tested once in an integrating sphere and it did not matter how far we had the light away. ...so technically, this is PAR degradation by spread. While air will truly degrade some PAR, this is not really an issue for any of us at a few feet. The difference is probably nothing to most, but might matter big-time to some.

For sake of argument, lets say at 17" height I lose 100 par from the example I originally posted. It's probably half or less than that, but an approximation I suppose it works.

With a six bulb fiji sun, would it be outrageous to guestimate by using those same numbers? Other than getting a par meter, probably all a "maybe" :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second guesstimate:
ATI 6 tube 48" fixture.
Assuming approx 7" off water 24" deep tank.
fixture is 2.1" thick but assuming you only see about 1:" of that, each square.
Random PAR chart picked from above video
Sig more than prev estimate.

Did find an error in prev. estimate. Thought I used a 48" "model" 4 tube but on further review is was 36"
t5PAR

TANKEST.JPG

Back