BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tl;dr I need more light, right?

Hi all,
Newb here.

I have a couple corals that are looking a little sad. See this thread for pics of the corals if you're curious.

I had the impression that my tank seemed a little dim, so I got my hands on a PAR meter and took some measurements.

My tank is lit with two XR15G6 Pro lights. Spectrum settings in Mobius:
Point Intensity 100%
UV 100%
Violet 100%
Royal 100%
Blue 100%
Green 30%
Red 30%
Warm White 30%
Cool White 30%

Before, my tank was running at about 60% schedule intensity in Mobius. The PAR numbers at 60% schedule intensity were super low, so I bumped it to 75% schedule intensity yesterday. Today I took measurements at 75% and 100% schedule intensities. I think all the numbers here are low.

In the sand, I have a few corals. I need to move them up on the rocks, but I haven't figured out where I want them yet. And I have commitment issues.

I tried to label the coral that I know, but there are a couple I don't know the identity of. They're both little encrusting corals I think.

Eventually, I figured I'd have some bright light corals up top (maybe an acro or two, but not married to them), a hand full of torches scattered around, and some other colorful, blobby things filling in the rest. I think I need to get another two XR15s at least for that plan.

What do you think?

74 percent.jpg

100 percent.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very low.
Bring all corals up to the highest point you can.

If you’re using some AB+ nonsense profiles - I’d stay away from it for now, as it prevents you from using the whole power of the fixture.

And yes, you need at least 2 more XR15, and I dare to say that I would add 2 XR30s or better yet 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0 (but you went with the Radions - so it might be more convenient for you to go all-Radion. though it is half the price)

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation all. I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy here.

I have two more XR15 G6 Blues in the basement; I just need mounts.

Originally I had the Blues, but thought they were too blue, so I swapped for the Pro. I think that a mixture of half and half will give me approximately the look I'd like, and hopefully enough PAR to make the inhabitants happy.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation all. I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy here.

I have two more XR15 G6 Blues in the basement; I just need mounts.

Originally I had the Blues, but thought they were too blue, so I swapped for the Pro. I think that a mixture of half and half will give me approximately the look I'd like, and hopefully enough PAR to make the inhabitants happy.
This should give you enough overlapping to make PAR higher.
If it still isn’t enough - a fifth fixture would also better blend between the 2 different spectrums, but I think you should be fine with 4.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a hater and have ecotech gear but my radions are xr15 pro Gen 4. That output from the G6 looks pretty pathetic. My old black boxes put out more than that.
I don’t remember who it was, but someone described it spot on: before there was not enough spread so Ecotech sold you a diffuser as an add-on. Now there is too much spread, so Ecotech sells you narrow reflectors as an add-on.

Honestly, it seems to me like a money grabbing practice that was done on purpose.

imho G4s were the last Radions that actually pumped good spectrum and PAR.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XR15 lights that were running 70% on AB plus setting and my corals were terrible. Terrible par numbers. Now they run at 100% intensity and my corals thrive. Your big tank needs 2 more lights or sell what you have and get 3 XR30s for much better par.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XR15 lights that were running 70% on AB plus setting and my corals were terrible. Terrible par numbers. Now they run at 100% intensity and my corals thrive. Your big tank needs 2 more lights or sell what you have and get 3 XR30s for much better par.
4 xr15s are better than 2 xr30s, just saying

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 xr15s are better than 2 xr30s, just saying
Not at all! For blanket light maybe but the par isn’t even close! You’d think that’s the case but it’s not! I’ve seen par numbers side by side with two 15’s vs a 30

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 15s are just weak overall par lights. 30s much better all around......take care
alright, correct me if im wrong but 2 xr15s are the same amount of LEDs (effectively) and the xr30 is 5W more power than 2 xr15s. How do those not equal each other when compared to each other other than that you can spread the 2XR15s apart to create a better blanket

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all! For blanket light maybe but the par isn’t even close! You’d think that’s the case but it’s not! I’ve seen par numbers side by side with two 15’s vs a 30
Really the only way to try and get more par out of the 15s is to crank the white to max but that's terrible for the tank. I think ecotech misleads us with their par numbers because they have all spectrums wide open and tell you great par numbers but it's just not realistic in a reef tank to do this.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, correct me if im wrong but 2 xr15s are the same amount of LEDs (effectively) and the xr30 is 5W more power than 2 xr15s. How do those not equal each other when compared to each other other than that you can spread the 2XR15s apart to create a better blanket
AFAIK the XR15’s are 90W compared to 210W on the XR30.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only relay my own personal experience with how weak the 15s are but there are plenty of vids out there showing the comparison and pros and cons of each set up. My research indicates 30s far outperform 15s but at a substantial price point too.

Keep in mind tank size specs play a key role too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back