Par rating?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it take a long time for it to grab hold if it’s happy?
It's all depend on each clam, my small maxi anchored to the rock overnight and completely secure to that spot like super glue within a week. While my 2 Derasa stopped walk around but they do not anchored to anything LOL
All the Maxis stayed same exact same spot I wanted them to be there, the big Maxi anchored to a piece of flat rock so I can move it anywhere without ruining it foot.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams self acclimate by opening and closing.

I never said that BTW - I said that is what I kept them at. I said that Maxima cannot survive at 200 long term, which I stand by whole heartedly.

I've had a maxima at 200 par that has tripled in size, so that's not accurate.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a maxima at 200 par that has tripled in size, so that's not accurate.
Would love to know more about this if you still have it. I'm looking to do an LPS dominant tank so the lighting would get to around 200-250 at the top of the rockscape.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly OP, educate yourself before asking 1) incredibly basic questions and 2) disagreeing with the answer

Secondly, to say “my squamous survives under X” is similar to saying “this sparrow survives, why won’t this crow?” They’re both birds, they can both survive in the same habitat, but they certainly don’t survive in the same way. In fact, the ocean at ~0-10m and 10-30m isn’t even the same habitat.

When it comes to maximas, I’m not aware of anyone that has had a long-term success (3-5 years+ of constant growth - just like anything in this hobby, if it’s not growing, it’s dying) with a maxima with less than 400-500 par. In their natural habitat they get 1000 to 2000 easily. Ever seen them in their natural habitat? I have, in multiple places. The amount of PAR (not to mention UV and IR) they receive is insanity.

I have half a dozen maximas from Okinawa, each are putting on a new layer of scutes every ~2 months and all are under at least 450 par, some under nearly 1000. I’ve never seen them grow under less than 450. This is one of the reasons, I believe, that keeping maxima/Crocea clams stopped being much a thing when MH lighting stopped being a thing.

FWIW, I temporarily had to keep my largest maxima (about 25cm, weighing several kilos!) on the sand bed for about 2 months at ~225 PAR. It didn’t grow at all under that PAR…which meant it wasn’t meeting it’s energy requirements (aka dying).

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back