PAR seems the same everywhere

  • Thread starter Thread starter jbisDVM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jbisDVM

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 8, 2024
Messages
29
Reaction score
16
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have a Red Sea G2 300xl with two ReefLED 90s. I have them on the Red Sea mount so it’s uniform with mounting in terms of height above the water. I have an Apogee PAR meter (510 MQ). I have the lights set at 85% blue and 25% white at the peak of the day for 8 hours with two hour ramp up and 2 hour ramp down. The tank is about 11 months old and parameters are kept stable with a dosing pump and Red Sea four part. The issue is that my acros are taking a very long time to color up. I got them from online vendors (big mistake) and most were browned out once shipped. I checked my PAR with my current light setting and I’m surprised that it seems fairly uniform everywhere. In other words, I would have expected a larger difference between the top and bottom of the tank but in some areas it only varies by like 10-20 points.

I guess my questions are:
1.) why is my PAR so randomly distributed? Like a hot spot in the top corner but then in some areas, the bottom is higher par than the middle.
2.) how long should I expect the acros to take to gain their color?

AlK 8.5
Cal 440
Mg 1300
Phos 0.09
Nitrate 5

20250701_145605_31DDFCAC-7DF0-40C4-B289-E83DD7036316.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new