PAR Testing - Kessil A80 vs $30 Kingbo bulb

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No :( I need to get on that. Actually, I can do a quick "dry" par test. It will be out of water at 100% all channels. Give me 30 minutes.
6 and 12in please :D
For those who may be stalking par numbers.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I could help the cause! I'm curious to see if Kessils suck or are great or are in the middle of the road. :)
I have my A80 literally hanging on top of my CPR HOB refugium, 2" from the water. Chaeto grows like a weed.
Have it in growth mode and I vary the intensity occasionally to spurt growth.
Another thing I like about it is that with all other lights my fuge eventually became a Cyano factory. Absolutely no Cyano with the Kessil, although I did notice a bit of slime algae recently. Will monitor.
However, even though my nutrients are low, I can't say how much, if anything, the A80 contributes to this

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my A80 literally hanging on top of my CPR HOB refugium, 2" from the water. Chaeto grows like a weed.
Have it in growth mode and I vary the intensity occasionally to spurt growth.
Another thing I like about it is that with all other lights my fuge eventually became a Cyano factory. Absolutely no Cyano with the Kessil, although I did notice a bit of slime algae recently. Will monitor.
However, even though my nutrients are low, I can't say how much, if anything, the A80 contributes to this
Sorry got confused by the picture which looks exactly like the H80, which is what I have

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumini Asta 20 Marine

61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg

Light tested dry at 100% intensity outside of water with 180 degree lens.

3 inches from center
3inchpar.jpg

5 Inches from center
5inchpar.jpg

9 inches from center
9inchpar.jpg

9" from light with a 10" diameter, I measure par values 5 inches from center on each side.

parlayout.jpg

Final thoughts. It's a decent pico light with an extremely long gooseneck. Not designed for anything larger than a 10g cube.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumini Asta 20 Marine

61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg

3 inches from center
3inchpar.jpg

5 Inches from center
5inchpar.jpg

9 inches from center
9inchpar.jpg

9" from light with a 10" diameter, I measure par values 5 inches from center on each side.

parlayout.jpg

Final thoughts. It's a decent pico light with an extremely long gooseneck. Not designed for anything larger than a 10g cube.
I owe you money for that now don’t I ?
:oops:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumini Asta 20 Marine

61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg

3 inches from center
3inchpar.jpg

5 Inches from center
5inchpar.jpg

9 inches from center
9inchpar.jpg

parlayout.jpg

That’s a beautifully laid out review.

Actually a decent spread. A couple of those on a fuge or small tank would be sweet.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a beautifully laid out review.

Actually a decent spread. A couple of those on a fuge or small tank would be sweet.
Thanks! My 30 minute measurementand review. Record timing? Lol. My dinosaur laptop took up most of the hour ;Facepalm

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My 30 minute measurementand review. Record timing? Lol. My dinosaur laptop took up most of the hour ;Facepalm
Hahah. Yer a pro!
Took me three hours to load Lightroom on the two computers today. I was the dinosaur.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the tank does the kingbo need to be? For a 20g high and 29 gallon? If it's within 6 inches of water is that way too close? And yet how do people use hoods right on top if so?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumini Asta 20 Marine

61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg

3 inches from center
3inchpar.jpg

5 Inches from center
5inchpar.jpg

9 inches from center
9inchpar.jpg

parlayout.jpg

Hi I know this is an old thread but can I ask are you still using / enjoying this light or have you moved on from it. I have just bought one for my sons 8gallon tank as the lights iv had on there for the last 2 years haven't really grown anything just kept the hammers ticking over. I was wandering what sort of intensity you run/ran per channel. Thanks for doing the par readings for it too.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I know this is an old thread but can I ask are you still using / enjoying this light or have you moved on from it. I have just bought one for my sons 8gallon tank as the lights iv had on there for the last 2 years haven't really grown anything just kept the hammers ticking over. I was wandering what sort of intensity you run/ran per channel. Thanks for doing the par readings for it too.
I do have it and i am using it but not to grow coral. I am using it to basically keep snails alive. Coralline algae is also growing. I do think it will grow zoas and other low light coral but nothing else. Also, I dont think they sell this model anymore. Last time I looked, they had a better more updated version for about the same price. For this particular model, keeping it at 100% intensity is where it should stay.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do have it and i am using it but not to grow coral. I am using it to basically keep snails alive. Coralline algae is also growing. I do think it will grow zoas and other low light coral but nothing else. Also, I dont think they sell this model anymore. Last time I looked, they had a better more updated version for about the same price. For this particular model, keeping it at 100% intensity is where it should stay.
I've been using it on a standard 10g coral qt for over a year and it has done well for any LPS and zoa I have put in. I was given a meteor shower cyphastrea that was completely white and it colored back up nicely under that little asta20. So I can attest that it will do fine for most LPS as well. I run it at full intensity as well.

I had to put my trachy in there for a while because my CBB was picking at it and it's colors weren't as nice as under the t5s or black boxes. But on the other hand I have some acans, exact opposite. They were a dull red under t5s, when I put them under the asta20 they became crazy bright orange. But could have been other factors in either case of coruse.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it on a standard 10g coral qt for over a year and it has done well for any LPS and zoa I have put in. I was given a meteor shower cyphastrea that was completely white and it colored back up nicely under that little asta20. So I can attest that it will do fine for most LPS as well. I run it at full intensity as well.

I had to put my trachy in there for a while because my CBB was picking at it and it's colors weren't as nice as under the t5s or black boxes. But on the other hand I have some acans, exact opposite. They were a dull red under t5s, when I put them under the asta20 they became crazy bright orange. But could have been other factors in either case of coruse.
Thank you for that it makes me feel a bit better about my purchase.
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back