Parameter questions

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to reefing (about 10 months) I have recently been adding more sps to my tank. I have been getting steady growth out of everything but my calc never seems to drop. My dKH is about 8 and calc is 520. I can't seem to get it to lower. I have never tested mag.(no test kit for it yet) Do you think my mag might be low, causing my calc not to uptake? Thanks for any
6bf4afd1f38868821252d5d3783577b6.jpg
input and advice.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Here is a article link By Randy and down near the bottom of the article it goes into how the lack of magnesium will affect Ca. My suggestion would be to get a kit and test where you are at and make adjustments. Randy my see this and have further comments.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you testing, and have you ever tested twice, just to see what the error might be.
I test every couple weeks. And yes I test twice to get a middle number. Usually pretty consistent outcome. My dKH was high a couple weeks ago as well so I avoided doing a WC for a few weeks and tested last night and alk went down but calc was still the same.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Here is a article link By Randy and down near the bottom of the article it goes into how the lack of magnesium will affect Ca. My suggestion would be to get a kit and test where you are at and make adjustments. Randy my see this and have further comments.
Thanks! I'll take a look

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never dosed. Just weekly WC 5 gal a week on my 65g red Sea

Then the calcium will exactly reflect what comes in the salt mix and won't decline. 520 ppm is fine, assuming it is accurate. :)

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the calcium will exactly reflect what comes in the salt mix and won't decline. 520 ppm is fine, assuming it is accurate. :)
I hope so. I was thinking maybe my mag was low and it's not up taking my calc. I use fritz salt so I guess I'll check it next time before I add it to my tank. Gonna take a sample of water and have my Lfs test it just to see if my results are reading the same.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so. I was thinking maybe my mag was low and it's not up taking my calc. I use fritz salt so I guess I'll check it next time before I add it to my tank. Gonna take a sample of water and have my Lfs test it just to see if my results are reading the same.

Nope. That's not it. Your magnesium is also exactly what is in the mix, and no mix is so low that it prevents calcification. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back