Waterbox 175 infinia reef question

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have quite a few frags now so decided to use my test kits I had to give my right arm for… wondering if i need to start dosing
Ph 8.1
Alc 7.3
Calc 305
Salinity 1.023
Phosphates url .01

What’s the easiest way to dose I have read a lot of threads and little to say I’m confused and overwhelmed

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using? Havew you dosed anything?

I'm a bit skeptical on the 305 ppm calcium, but if real, it will rise to 350 ppm if you just raise the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264).

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you can get calcium that low since it cannot be consumed without alk being consumed at a rate of about 2.8 dKH per 20 ppm of calcium, and there's just not enough alk there to drop calcium by 100 ppm.

So I might want to double check the calcium some other way, though raising it is also Ok since even if it is 400 ppm now and you raise it to 500 ppm, that 's fine.

Any suitable pure type of calcium chloride is a fine way to go.

OP
OP
quickreefer

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you can get calcium that low since it cannot be consumed without alk being consumed at a rate of about 2.8 dKH per 20 ppm of calcium, and there's just not enough alk there to drop calcium by 100 ppm.

So I might want to double check the calcium some other way, though raising it is also Ok since even if it is 400 ppm now and you raise it to 500 ppm, that 's fine.

Any suitable pure type of calcium chloride is a fine way to go.
I used Hanna checkers are they not accurate for calcium and alk? Will retest when I get home in a little

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Hanna checkers are they not accurate for calcium and alk? Will retest when I get home in a little

They can be accurate or inaccurate. Bad reagents, calcium checker poorly designed to be freakishly sensitive to calcium in blank, scratched cuvettes, poor procedures, including timing, etc.

One should never assume they are giving accurate results if anything is seemingly unusual.

Bad test results are the bane of the reef aquarist.

OP
OP
quickreefer

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be accurate or inaccurate. Bad reagents, calcium checker poorly designed to be freakishly sensitive to calcium in blank, scratched cuvettes, poor procedures, including timing, etc.

One should never assume they are giving accurate results if anything is seemingly unusual.

Bad test results are the bane of the reef aquarist.
I will test both in a half hour and compare results

OP
OP
quickreefer

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a retest as I was trying to bring my salinity to 1.026 so I did three water changes with slightly higher salinity over the course of the week and got it to 1.025 and then retested me calc and alk and they are as follows
Calc 447
Alk 7.6
Still trying to figure out what is going to be the easiest for me to keep calc and alk stable

OP
OP
quickreefer

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are current parameters and my understanding is that all for reef maintains the levels? Is that correct ? If so how much to I add daily to keep parameters close to what they are at now ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are current parameters and my understanding is that all for reef maintains the levels? Is that correct ? If so how much to I add daily to keep parameters close to what they are at now ?

AFR doesn't maintain levels, unless you dose the exact appropriate amount based on your tank demand. Otherwise, levels fall or levels increase, just as with many alk and calcium methods (kalkwasser and CaCO3/CO2 reactors, for example).

Do you know how much alk is consumed each day?

What is the alk now?

OP
OP
quickreefer

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk is at 7.2 and I do not know how much is consumed I think it has been around that level everytime I have tested..I have a lot of small frags maybe 30 sps lps… I also do 10-15 gallon water changed every Sunday so

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back