Parameters changes in mail - ICP

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’ll have as thorough a write up as @Rick Mathew , but I’ve ordered the supplies to see if UV treatment of the ICP sample will have any effect. My plan is to send in two samples collected at the same time, one sterilized with a UV pen, the other collected in the standard manner from the tank, no other treatment.

For a starting reference, I got back another ICP test this week. I tested P twice with the Hanna checker same time as the Triton sample was collected. Hanna reported 40ppb, Triton reported 21ppb. So that’s about a typical difference I see. The sample was collected on 6/28 and Triton tested the sample on 7/06, so about 1 week.

For the test, my plan is to collect the water sample in a beaker, and irradiate it there. I was also going to rinse the Triton sample tube in isopropyl alchol first, then rinse with irradiated sample water, then transfer the irradiated sample into the test tube. I’ll also be running a Hanna P test, testing twice, with clean and dry test tubes.

If anyone has any feedback on the testing method or any other insights let me know. I’ll probably be collecting the samples sometime next week.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I found this independent test of its effectiveness:

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so here's the results. Negative results, null hypothesis seems correct. My favorite! :p

My method was basically as outlined above. The two ICP test showed basically no difference (given the known accuracy of the test and detection limits). All the numbers are ppm (mg/l)

data.png

At the same time, immediatly prior to collecting the ICP samples, I tested Phosphorus with the Hanna checker. Three tests resulted in readings of 13ppb, 9pbb, 5ppb of Phosphorus, or an average of 9ppb Phosphorus (not far off, and BELOW the triton reading of 11ppb).

However, my biggest takeaway and perhaps the simplest part of all this was washing and cleaning the vials! As an extra control I first ran a Hanna P test as usual, which gave me a reading of 32ppb (3 times higher). Immediatly after this test, I washed the test vial by filling it with vinegar, capping and swishing, then letting it sit for 5 minutes. I then emptied and rinsed it with 91% Isopropyl alcohol, and then rinsed it twice again with tank water.

So my current hypothesis is that at least with Phosphorus reading differences, much of it might be attributed to some kind of Phosphorus build up inside of the Hanna vials, rather than a reduction on transit to ICP.

It's also possible that the UV pen doesn't work at all, and my Hanna readings are all bad, But given the known effects of UV, I'd be skeptical if there's some biotic process at work here.

Edit: One note I left out. Sterlization was done on 175ml of aqarium water. The pen was set to the 1000ml sterilization setting.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, my biggest takeaway and perhaps the simplest part of all this was washing and cleaning the vials! As an extra control I first ran a Hanna P test as usual, which gave me a reading of 32ppb (3 times higher). Immediatly after this test, I washed the test vial by filling it with vinegar, capping and swishing, then letting it sit for 5 minutes. I then emptied and rinsed it with 91% Isopropyl alcohol, and then rinsed it twice again with tank water.

So my current hypothesis is that at least with Phosphorus reading differences, much of it might be attributed to some kind of Phosphorus build up inside of the Hanna vials, rather than a reduction on transit to ICP.
This is one of my experiences too. I clean with Citric Acid

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I take some powder in the vial and fill it up with RO water and let it stand over night. I use citric acid from the spice shelves in my grocery store.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back