Parameters

christa1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters for the last month. I’ve had the tank up and running since August, so still fairly new. I’m now seeing some changes in alkalinity and I’m not sure why the calcium and mag are elevated…I would think it would go down with the LPS’s. Should I change the brand of salt? I believe the instant ocean reef crystals has added calcium and magnesium. Also, at what point would I need to address any of these parameters? Also, it’s due for a water change this weekend. Thanks for any input or advice!

468DDC92-BE52-40BD-A18D-825FB7A01A38.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RC is known to be high in additives. Over time if your corals are not using as much as you are putting in this is what happens. What i do is mix a high additive salt with a lower one. Maybe RC and IO mixed 1/2 and 1/2 for your next water change?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That salt shouldn't be mixing to that high of a number. I would be concerned with either the salinity being higher than you thought or an improper test.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That salt shouldn't be mixing to that high of a number. I would be concerned with either the salinity being higher than you thought or an improper test.
improper test... good point since alk went from 9.3 to 8.3

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought came from that particular salts normal numbers being lower for calcium. Salt would have to be a bad batch, inaccurate test, or raised salinity. Alkalinity lowering by a full point doesn't raise a red flag with me. Rising calcium has to come from somewhere though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back