Parazoanthus yellow polyps feeding

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Common Blevil

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2023
Messages
351
Reaction score
354
Location
Kraków
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had yellow polyps in my old tank, but then eradicated them (i had no space for them and wanted xenia to spread) to leave only a few of them on a frag plug, which i put into my "trash can" tank(i don't have a sump so i use a small tank to drop unneeded stuff into), which had wery little light at a time. So they shriveled a bit in there. And then i put them into my upgraded main tank in the summer, which is in front of a window. So they could've had a lot of light to grow, but they didn't grow much. Everything else grew - xenia, gsp, anthelia, normal zoas, even discosoma grew a tiny baby. I also then rescaped my tank and did a lot of cringe things , so it was and still is a bit destabilised. So I'm now thinking, maybe they degraded in the trash can tank so much they need a feed boost? Can i feed them smaller particles of OceanNutrition Formula 2 when feeding my fish? I've seen them catch the stuff but i don't know if they are able to digest it. I don't have photos because the lights are out in my tank, but it's like a tiny frag plug with like 9 tiny polyps that look like very tiny yellow zoas and not that juicy yellow aiptasia look healthy parazoanthus should have. I have a high light place for them to cover, and they just don't want to... I even wanted to buy a new frag of them, but guy at the lfs said he didn't have any, although i literally saw like 3 plugs covered in them. And unfortunately no one in my area wants to share polyps, so i decided to nurse mine back to health...

Also, i heard you can feed normal zoas. I never seen mine react to food...
 
I'm not making any claims, but from having them around I was under the impression these were non-photosynthetic polyps. They have a super-aggressive sting and always seem to respond to chunky feedings (better than any other NPS I've seen).

Can you post a pic? Do yours look more or less like these?
1762640672186.png
 
I'm not making any claims, but from having them around I was under the impression these were non-photosynthetic polyps. They have a super-aggressive sting and always seem to respond to chunky feedings (better than any other NPS I've seen).

Can you post a pic? Do yours look more or less like these?
1762640672186.png
Mine looked like this until i eradicated them. I will make a photo tomorrow of how they look now. They are photosynthetic tho. I never fed my big colony. Started with like 5 and ended up with dozens. From what I've seen in the tank and from what I've read they like strong light and strong flow, so I'm a bit weirded out about the lack of growth...

Photos of them when i got them and after some time in the tank:
IMG_20240227_203249.jpg

IMG_20250102_134602.jpg
 
Mine looked like this until i eradicated them. I will make a photo tomorrow of how they look now. They are photosynthetic tho. I never fed my big colony. Started with like 5 and ended up with dozens. From what I've seen in the tank and from what I've read they like strong light and strong flow, so I'm a bit weirded out about the lack of growth...

Photos of them when i got them and after some time in the tank:
IMG_20240227_203249.jpg

IMG_20250102_134602.jpg
Wow, i had way more coralline in the old tank, good job messing with the system, now i will need to wait for like a year for my tank to stabilise...😒
 
I checked back in Borneman's "Aquarium Corals..." book and there are some NPS yellow polyp (Parazoanthus) species. Glad my mentals are not COMPLETELY gone. ;)
 
Mine looked like this until i eradicated them. I will make a photo tomorrow of how they look now. They are photosynthetic tho. I never fed my big colony. Started with like 5 and ended up with dozens. From what I've seen in the tank and from what I've read they like strong light and strong flow, so I'm a bit weirded out about the lack of growth...

Photos of them when i got them and after some time in the tank:
IMG_20240227_203249.jpg

IMG_20250102_134602.jpg
This is how they look right now... Tiny and sad... (Anemone doesn't touch them and they looked like that when there weren't any anemones in the tank)
IMG_20251109_114903.jpg
IMG_20251109_114908.jpg
 
I checked back in Borneman's "Aquarium Corals..." book and there are some NPS yellow polyp (Parazoanthus) species. Glad my mentals are not COMPLETELY gone. ;)
Yes, there are a lot of nps parazoanthids, but the ones commonly kept in the hobby are photosynthetic. Although they are much better eaters than regular zoanthids. By that i mean, I've seen them actually ingest whatever i feed them...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new