Particles are Driving Me Insane!!!

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I have the same issue and it's driving me nuts. And my tank is lass than two month old not much to cause this but I do have 4 mp 40's at 50%

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that if you let your salt sit it causes this issue...how old is the salt your using and how large was your last water change?

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me salt is 6 months old but Kent comes with 4 step bags and I use a full bag at a time. I mix for 24 hours before using. Could it be too many mp 40's

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that if you let your salt sit it causes this issue...how old is the salt your using and how large was your last water change?
My salt is definitely a few months old, hard to be sure since I don't remember (doesn't help my case). Last water change was 20% which would be 30 gallons for me.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be fixed by pouring your nest water change through a filter sock....if this is the cause if the issue you should see the particles on the surface in your mixing bucket.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if mine is from fine sand and the 4 mp40's. I tuned down to 50% each I can see it blowing sand around into piles and a small cyclone on bottom rear corner of tank

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be fixed by pouring your nest water change through a filter sock....if this is the cause if the issue you should see the particles on the surface in your mixing bucket.
Im due for a new batch of salt anyways so hopefully that will be good. I just need to figure out how to get rid of the particles still stuck in the tank :cool:

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally after water changes I cut pieces of 100 micron felt and let them sit in the overflow overnight. This seems clears up everything for me. Water is crystal afterwards.

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I have the same problem. I've also noticed that they don't seem to go into the overflow. I use a cpr overflow box and I've noticed mine doesn't have the comb on the overflow didn't think anything of it at first but do u think this could prevent particles from flowing over it?

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally after water changes I cut pieces of 100 micron felt and let them sit in the overflow overnight. This seems clears up everything for me. Water is crystal afterwards.
Maybe I need to get a hold of some smaller micron felt than. Maybe that will help remove whats floating around.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After staring at the tank for a significant amount of time I am starting to believe that the particles are just being blown around and not making it into the overflow. Im watching them get right next to the overflow and then get whipped away by the current. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After staring at the tank for a significant amount of time I am starting to believe that the particles are just being blown around and not making it into the overflow. Im watching them get right next to the overflow and then get whipped away by the current. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
What style overflow do you have and what gph are u running through it?

Rasengan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm having the same issue! mine is not microbubbles either because like what you've done i've turned everything off - skimmer, ATS, checked for any air leaks on piping, anything that can cause bubbles and i was still seeing the particles...particles are indeed very small and you can tell it's some kind of detritus and yes, a lot of them get close to the overflow but never actually enter it so i'm sure it's a flow issue with regard to how i have my gyre's and return nozzle pointed...i just don't really know how to fix it

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this thread and I am on the same boat. I have exactly same problem. I am using Microbe lift, my tank is 150g (48x30x24) center overflow from Crystal Dynamic, 2 Mp40 @ 45%. I place my MP40s on the back so the flow go to the front panel.
@Brandon McHenry, @Reefpro any update on this?

Last edited:

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably already thought of this, but could it be one of your fish? A goby would be an obvious reason, but even my clown has taken to stirring the sand with its tail from time to time.

Back