Past perfect? Future Fantastic!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the biggest leap was from T12 tubes to HQI lighting but them I am only 36 years in this hobby much less than Paul. I recall seeing my fist clown fish and was smitten with their beauty and movement so they were my first marine fish. There was much choice in salt but it didn't seem to matter much given we only kept fish, later came a few soft corals. My first nem quickly followed soon after I bought my first cumbersome HQI with a 250w 4300K lamp and I thought it was the bee's knees, later I got a 5400k lamp > I managed to keep a Magnifica when all the books etc said it was impossible to keep one more than a couple of weeks . You can imagine my delight when my clowns spawned under it. I later sent Albert Thiel a slide of it and he used it on the front cover of his book "Ten Easy Steps" I still have that book although a bit tatty now. Choice of marine fish was limited and when we eventually we got more exotic fish they would be mainly almost impossible to keep butterflies that nearly always refused to feed on the limited foods we had available. We certainly don't know how lucky we are today and are spoilt for choice when it comes to fish and corals.
20160914_165852.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about evolution, is that paneling ;Woot

Yes, state of the art then. It is still up. :eek: I think your jealous. :cool:
It's actually gray and not brown like that picture and supposed to be drift wood. Remember I installed it in 1979.

Here is some more of that dead, bleached coral. That codium seaweed I still collect on the east end of Long Island in the Atlantic at low tide. It lives a few months then falls apart.

Arrow crabs, hermit crabs and these coral banded shrimp were among the first inverts you could get. I had this pair for 7 years and they spawned every few weeks for that time.

(Circa 1980)

JoeKelley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read Scott and good to see you online. I'm with a tank again and all the same principals apply with some new somewhat better equipment. Cant wait to see what your up to.

Joe

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totlly
For me the biggest leap was from T12 tubes to HQI lighting but them I am only 36 years in this hobby much less than Paul. I recall seeing my fist clown fish and was smitten with their beauty and movement so they were my first marine fish. There was much choice in salt but it didn't seem to matter much given we only kept fish, later came a few soft corals. My first nem quickly followed soon after I bought my first cumbersome HQI with a 250w 4300K lamp and I thought it was the bee's knees, later I got a 5400k lamp > I managed to keep a Magnifica when all the books etc said it was impossible to keep one more than a couple of weeks . You can imagine my delight when my clowns spawned under it. I later sent Albert Thiel a slide of it and he used it on the front cover of his book "Ten Easy Steps" I still have that book although a bit tatty now. Choice of marine fish was limited and when we eventually we got more exotic fish they would be mainly almost impossible to keep butterflies that nearly always refused to feed on the limited foods we had available. We certainly don't know how lucky we are today and are spoilt for choice when it comes to fish and corals.
20160914_165852.jpg
[/QUOTE
I TOTALLY remember that book! I remember the little "ads" in the middle of Theil's books, too..for Duple and such...funny.

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, your tank inspired me an many other SoCal reefers! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new one!

-Scott

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Article! Also the one discussing seagrasses! I have the perfect side tank for such a setup, and I need to acquire some of those now. Someone shut up and take my money!

Got into reefing around 2005. I built upon my FW knowledge without knowing what exactly was out there, but with the goal in mind that I wanted to create as balanced an ecosystem as possible. That's it. Wish I'd done a little more reading(+find an awesome place like like R2R), but some people just like to get punished to get better :).

Trickle down, UG filter, Berlin setup(mostly on side-tanks...tanks...you can't just have one!!!!) I got to experience b/c of sheer ignorance(mentioned before. Got no shame). 20 years outta style, but at least the water/air pumps were more modern. By no means am I an expert, just thought I'd share that some young buck got to experience these 'old school' concepts/forms of filtration. Some great experiences to learn! And sometimes get punished...

Thanks again for the awesome posts/articles!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Article! Also the one discussing seagrasses! I have the perfect side tank for such a setup, and I need to acquire some of those now. Someone shut up and take my money!

Got into reefing around 2005. I built upon my FW knowledge without knowing what exactly was out there, but with the goal in mind that I wanted to create as balanced an ecosystem as possible. That's it. Wish I'd done a little more reading(+find an awesome place like like R2R), but some people just like to get punished to get better :).

Trickle down, UG filter, Berlin setup(mostly on side-tanks...tanks...you can't just have one!!!!) I got to experience b/c of sheer ignorance(mentioned before. Got no shame). 20 years outta style, but at least the water/air pumps were more modern. By no means am I an expert, just thought I'd share that some young buck got to experience these 'old school' concepts/forms of filtration. Some great experiences to learn! And sometimes get punished...

Thanks again for the awesome posts/articles!
Thanks for the kind words! And you know what? It's just great that you found R2R..an amazing community which offers the very best of what this hobby is all about!

Getting "punished" is just part of the game, lol. However, if you look at all setbacks as learning opportunities, its not usually as painful, lol!

And we're just getting started here with the discussions; we'll have some new stuff next week after MACNA!

Regards,

Scott

Beeobee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only been involved for 4 1/2 years started cold with a (free tank.....etc.) 110 and a bunch of inhabitants, been interesting and enjoy. anyways, very good article for all who are just starting. History is extremely important in all endeavors. "do not know where you are going if you do not know where you have been". maybe a stretch used here, but maybe not. Great Job!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED technology is a prime example. Great read, Thx Scott! Who wooda thunk!

JoeKelley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah Scott, that is so nice of you to say. I'll post sometime soon and show you what I'm up to. Looking forward to more information about your project.

Joe

Joe, your tank inspired me an many other SoCal reefers! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new one!

-Scott

RushReefer2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool read! I thoroughly enjoyed it and will show it to my dad. He'll get a kick out of others seeing it coming around full circle too! As stated, I too strongly feel, most of the new tech is simply trying to improve an old design using modern components/strategies. Sure, some of it is new completely and can be cool, but what got us all to where we are now is the previous successes and failures in the hobby.

For an example of my point, let's compare this to motors in vehicles. Some people would rather have the original i6's and v8's, some want and use the improved versions (available in many years and options), and some just go for the brand new "cool" Tesla's!

Thanks again for posting!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back