Pattasium Nitrate vs Sodium Nitrate KNO3 vs CaNo3

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers!
apologies if the question has been asked.
So I have been dosing my tank with Food Grade KNO3 aka Pattasium nitrate & idea popped in to my head that I might be overdosing the Pattasium K part as its more Pattasium then nitrate in in composition. So I am wondering if I should worry about the K part of KNO3 and instead look for Sodium Nitrate which has sodium and nitrates so no worries on overdoing the sodium part. Problem with Sodium nitrate its very difficult to get unfortunately and I already have the KNO3 in plentiful supplies so should I worry about the K part or should I be looking to switch to Sodium nitrate.

TIA

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally recommend sodium nitrate as the best choice, but if you can find adequately pure calcium nitrate, that is also a good choice since it adds an appropriate amount of calcium for the alkalinity added via nitrate.

Do you live in a country where it is hard to get sodium nitrate?

OP
OP
I

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally recommend sodium nitrate as the best choice, but if you can find adequately pure calcium nitrate, that is also a good choice since it adds an appropriate amount of calcium for the alkalinity added via nitrate.

Do you live in a country where it is hard to get sodium nitrate?

Hi Randy! Thank you for replying.
I live in UK & unfortunately after a little reading found out that its restricted I am guessing its can be a little firey , but I am not 100% on it .

Aslo Randy I wanted to thank you for all the hard work you put in & help people out by sharing knowledge.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back