"PaulB" type Mandarin feeder mesh

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to put this in a few places. I found that my urchins eat through the stocking so I have been using this mesh which is the perfect size.
It is right inside the plastic on a RO membrane.
No, I don't cut up a new membrane but I use an old one. There is enough of this tiny mesh in there for many "PaulB" type feeders.

thumbnail.jpg

RO Cartridge.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA very cool!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Paul B I am considering on getting a mandarin (or pair?) for my 40 breeder. Few questions I want to wrap my head around.

How often do you setup a hatchery for brine shrimp and how long are they good for? Do you have a preferred hatchery?
The feeder in your book looks simple enough, you just pour them down the funnel but is this new feeder something you remove to refill?
How many teaspoons of eggs do you use per hatching/feeding?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NeonRabbit. I used to use the feeder and hatchery every day. Especially if you want to keep a pair of mandarins in a 40 gallon, probably new tank. They will eat all the shrimp you can hatch. I would hatch about a quarter teaspoon of eggs every day, sometimes twice a day.

The hatchery I use is the one I designed, I think it is in my book.

I think there may be two feeders in my book. One is a hatchery/feeder that I used for vacations and one, the smaller one. I used every day.
The every day one never has to be emptied but I did clean it occasionally because bristleworms liked to go in it.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it might be worth while to get a hatchery setup with a few jugs instead of refilling the same one. I will take a look at the book when I get home but I appreciate the advice.

Do you ever do a larger batch and split it between two days? Just trying to find a method of doing this without killing myself with more work than is necessary.

Found an old post and now the feeder makes so much more sense. I thought you put the live bbs down the funnel but the hatchery designs have different purposes. Thats what I get for skim reading!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another paul b master piece. new tank is tanking 2 years ( long story ) but I will be making on of these for the mandy. almost made one years ago then decided i would wait.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it might be worth while to get a hatchery setup with a few jugs instead of refilling the same one. I will take a look at the book when I get home but I appreciate the advice.

Do you ever do a larger batch and split it between two days? Just trying to find a method of doing this without killing myself with more work than is necessary.

Found an old post and now the feeder makes so much more sense. I thought you put the live bbs down the funnel but the hatchery designs have different purposes. Thats what I get for skim reading!
Just remember you’ll never ever be allowed to take a vacation if someone can’t feed them.
Wondering if you could first get them eating good and try and change it to flake or pellet food?
Is this even possible with these little guys?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember you’ll never ever be allowed to take a vacation if someone can’t feed them.
Wondering if you could first get them eating good and try and change it to flake or pellet food?
Is this even possible with these little guys?
Biota claims their captive bred fish can eat pellet and frozen (though I have heard a few cases of them going back to being picky). I typically have a tank sitter who can come by daily and I know the aquatics manager at Petco in harrisonburg is a reefer who has a side gig as a tank sitter if things go sideways. Its a delicate decision to add this guy but I love mandarins so much it might be worth it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever do a larger batch and split it between two days?
No. Because the new born shrimp are much more nutritious as soon as they are hatched. The next day they already used much of their yolk sack and you want that energy to go into your mandarin, not the shrimp.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back