Paul's BioCube

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 3 years the biocube was up and running, doing well, very little maintenance. I don't even think I tested it in over a year. Just changed 5g of water weekly. Coralline out the wazzu, bristleworms out of the wazzu, a vermetid snail or 2 in addition to 2 GBTA's, 2 frogspawn, some candy cane's, and zoa's with the 2 clowns and bi-color blenny.

Fast forward to April 1, 2019. Tank needs to be torn down due to a home renovation (new floors). Everything is in a holding 29 g tank in the basement.

Well...time to start prepping for the re-install of the tank. I dremeled off the lid tabs last night, started to clean the tank with some vinegar. I just got 20lbs of CaribSea LifeRock Shapes which is in a brute container with 10g of water to start the cycle process with .4 ml of Ammonia to dose it to 1ppm.

I also have 20lbs of FijiPink sand for when I'm ready to roll.

I run a LittleJet or something pump, the InTank Media with filter pad, purigen, and a carbon/phosphate with chemi-pure elite, and an Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer.

Lighting was an AI prime, but have since purchased a Noopsyche K7 Pro II for use with the tank this time. The Prime will stay on this 29g QT tank.

Since I'm staying with sand (was using tropic eden reef flakes, nice, but I found all kinds of crud got hidden with the bigger particles), plan is to get a Diamond Watchman Goby, a sand sifting star, and maybe a small wrasse. The tank will remain a softy/LPS tank.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you’re excited to get started and have a DT again! Why are you switching the AI Prime out?

I have a 120 in the basement that's doing fine. The cube will be in our gathering area on the main floor. Main reason for the switch in lights? Just want to try something new, and to the day I tore it down, I regretted not getting a hydra 26 HD. the Noopsyche is a lot like the Hydra without that price tag.

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 in the basement that's doing fine. The cube will be in our gathering area on the main floor. Main reason for the switch in lights? Just want to try something new, and to the day I tore it down, I regretted not getting a hydra 26 HD. the Noopsyche is a lot like the Hydra without that price tag.
Gotcha! We moved into a new house last fall. I just setup a 40 upstairs but I’m already thinking of adding a large aquarium when we finish the basement in the next year or so.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! We moved into a new house last fall. I just setup a 40 upstairs but I’m already thinking of adding a large aquarium when we finish the basement in the next year or so.

The downside to a basement tank is, it can get forgotten. Like I already skip days to feed because I don't go down there all the time. I think I feed that tank 3x a week and do weekly 15g changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back