Pavona questions

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 cheap pavonas.

The green one looks as good as it did in the lfs. The orange isn't "out" as much. More than yesterday. I think it is an orange maldivensis pavona. From what I've read, it likes lower light than the greens.

I think it has good flow. The Green one just above it I can see the polyps moving in the current. The orange no. It was up with the green and I lowered it. 1 powerhead above it is on stream. Rest on either surge or wave. Surge I think (3 of them)
Lights are 70%blue 12% white
No3 between 10-20
Po 4 between .06 and .1
Cal 380
Alk 9.4

How much will it open? Does it need to go lower?

20210804_164137.jpg

20210804_164159.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the orange down slightly. It doesn't open more than this. I read the orange prefer lower light. Any experience pavona keepers? The green is looking super nice. Do I keep moving it lower or try back higher?
20210806_152113.jpg
20210806_152119.jpg
20210806_152138.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange are probably a little more easily burned by too much light but there are too many different factors.

Don't feel like height in your tank necessarily means more or less height. In your photo you moved it down but also more toward the center so the par could be the same or higher than where the green one is.

That still doesn't mean it's too high or too low. No way to know without a par meter.

Your lighting appears white heavy. I'm not a fan of this as I switched to blue heavy several years ago with much better results and less suspicious deaths.

Probably none of that helps but maybe some points to think about.

But the green cactus pavona you have there is nearly indestructible.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange are probably a little more easily burned by too much light but there are too many different factors.

Don't feel like height in your tank necessarily means more or less height. In your photo you moved it down but also more toward the center so the par could be the same or higher than where the green one is.

That still doesn't mean it's too high or too low. No way to know without a par meter.

Your lighting appears white heavy. I'm not a fan of this as I switched to blue heavy several years ago with much better results and less suspicious deaths.
I use the pro setting on my phone and turn up the whites to combat the blues of the tank. I'm running 70% blue 12 or 15% white. Should the orange be a lot more out and brighter? Not sure what it should look like lol's.

I Should prob. turn blues up a bit more.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back