payment etiquette

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have never bought any items on here and looking for some guidance on how this usually works. The item is i'm buying is over $300 so I am asking do folks normally pay in full and trust they will get the item or do they pay half and then half upon receipt??

Strange question but I don't see this posted anywhere.

Thanks
RR

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have never bought any items on here and looking for some guidance on how this usually works. The item is i'm buying is over $300 so I am asking do folks normally pay in full and trust they will get the item or do they pay half and then half upon receipt??

Strange question but I don't see this posted anywhere.

Thanks
RR
Pay in full via PayPal which gives you recourse if something goes wrong.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay in full via PayPal which gives you recourse if something goes wrong.

As an extension of this, Do not use PayPal Friends and Family. If you do you will have no protection or recourse.

Selling rules on this forum dictate all PayPal and shipping fees be included in the asking price so you shouldn't have to worry about extra fees.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an extension of this, Do not use PayPal Friends and Family. If you do you will have no protection or recourse
He's right you know.gif

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can click on the person selling the item, I'd take caution buying from someone without much activity. Not sure if brand new people are able to buy/sell.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure what that is! lol

Just using regular paypal
I was just saying that JoshH is right, never use friends and family as you will have no recourse. If the seller won't accept that, do not buy from them.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just saying that JoshH is right, never use friends and family as you will have no recourse. If the seller won't accept that, do not buy from them.
The address he gave me came up in paypal. So i just sent him the full amount. He's a R2R member so i am sure there won't be an issue. I just wanted to see what protocol was.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using regular PayPal you can click that the payment is for a friend/family. They then don't charge a fee, but you won't be able to file a claim if there is a problem
Just saw that on there. Wasn't sure what is was but I used the other category which says i was covered if i need to file a claim. The only reason i was really asking is this member had a very low message/participation level but of course so do I since i just started on here. lol

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw that on there. Wasn't sure what is was but I used the other category which says i was covered if i need to file a claim. The only reason i was really asking is this member had a very low message/participation level but of course so do I since i just started on here. lol
It sounds like you did it right. When you pay via PayPal, you get two options, "Goods & Services" or "Friends & Family". The Goods & Services one costs the seller a few bucks, but you're protected. On R2R, sellers are not allowed to ask for Friends & Family when shipping, even in PMs. I usually also add notes stating exactly what the item is I'm buying. And yes, ask for a tracking number once shipped.

Back