Peace of mind with heater setup

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some peace of mind with my heaters. Tank is up but no need for heater right now since its summer but want to have everything in hand for when temp starts cooling down.. I would like to have a controller with digital representation of temp and also informs me via mobile app the current temperature and also if just incase the heater gets stuck heating up the whole tank or even if it doesnt turn on..

What are you guys using? Looking for redundancy and of course peace of mind with notifications

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set the temperature desired on the heaters themselves. Then I plug them into my apex and set the apex to turn the heaters off at 1 to 2 degree higher than what I set the thermostat on the actual heater. This is my redundancy. I let the heater do all the work. If the apex ever has to turn it off, it will send me alarm and I can inspect.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a full blown controller like an Apex will do all of that and more or you can go with a temperature specific controller like a WiFi Inkbird which is much cheaper. I only use one heater at a time......if it dies I will be notified and at that point I swap it out.

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I set the temperature desired on the heaters themselves. Then I plug them into my apex and set the apex to turn the heaters off at 1 to 2 degree higher than what I set the thermostat on the actual heater. This is my redundancy. I let the heater do all the work. If the apex ever has to turn it off, it will send me alarm and I can inspect.
if your Apex loses internet and is in fail mode. (power is still on, just no internet) do you fail the Apex ON or OFF?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing changes on the apex energy Bar if loose internet. It has the programming and keeps on trucking

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 inkbird. You don’t need your phone to see the temp

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing changes on the apex energy Bar if loose internet. It has the programming and keeps on trucking
I thought if I have a energy bar with outlet 3 set to fail on, and the head unit loses internet service, that outlet will turn ON

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is another story. You are reffering to how to program the apex. You may want to go to apex threads for that.

However, I use the "fail off" , or "fail on" options on the energy Bar to set the failure states on the outlets should something happen to the energy bar.

OP
OP
B

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking for an apex.. Something more like an inkbird however I dont really like the way it looks.. Something more sleek like so but this doesnt support WIFI and notifications

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back