Peacock Mantis question

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving my peacock mantis tomorrow! So excited, been working on it’s tank for a long time now.

I have read a lot of thread about CUCs for mantis tanks, but only about how to keep them alive...

Here is my question:
I don’t really care if he kills them, but will he kill them as he eats? Or will kill the whole crew and burry the body’s lol... and obviously cause problems.

I was going to drop cerith snails, Emerald crabs and hermit crabs in the tank, and just replace as I go.

I really want to keep him on a live food diet, so he’s always hunting and putting on a show. Only feeding him a frozen soaked (whatever) in selcon once a week.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving my peacock mantis tomorrow! So excited, been working on it’s tank for a long time now.

I have read a lot of thread about CUCs for mantis tanks, but only about how to keep them alive...

Here is my question:
I don’t really care if he kills them, but will he kill them as he eats? Or will kill the whole crew and burry the body’s lol... and obviously cause problems.

I was going to drop cerith snails, Emerald crabs and hermit crabs in the tank, and just replace as I go.

I really want to keep him on a live food diet, so he’s always hunting and putting on a show. Only feeding him a frozen soaked (whatever) in selcon once a week.
Awesome! Mantis shrimps are cool, you'll love yours!
About the CUC, I would generally advice against it. You'll need to be replacing them quite often, and eventually you'll just give up. Very few inverts survive mantis shrimps.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Mantis shrimps are cool, you'll love yours!
About the CUC, I would generally advice against it. You'll need to be replacing them quite often, and eventually you'll just give up. Very few inverts survive mantis shrimps.
Will he make a mess or eat them? I mean the snails are like $30 for 200-250... lol

Attachments

• 901C1B07-46CC-4817-B013-2D7C5F6D7A25.gif
    901C1B07-46CC-4817-B013-2D7C5F6D7A25.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will he make a mess or eat them? I mean the snails are like $30 for 200-250... lol
That’s a good deal! The issue is that any decaying matter from uneaten snails will foul up the water and mantis shrimps need pretty clean tanks and stable params. You’ll just have to constantly clean up after him. It’s probably better to monitor feedings and limit amount so you know what goes in and what is left uneaten.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good deal! The issue is that any decaying matter from uneaten snails will foul up the water and mantis shrimps need pretty clean tanks and stable params. You’ll just have to constantly clean up after him. It’s probably better to monitor feedings and limit amount so you know what goes in and what is left uneaten.
Yea I buy them off eBay. Link. He also dose free shipping.

Think I’ll drop 100 of these bad boys in there and keep the mantis fed slowly with crabs. Too bad he doesn’t clean his plate lol...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They eat them one by one. A mantis shrimp can easily spear or slice the prey in very short timing. The spearer mantis shrimp live to eat the soft-bodied prey such as fish, worms and said. The other type is the smasher which primarily eats shelled fish (snails, etc).
Crustaceans are among their favorites, so they love eating crabs and even fellow shrimps. Crabs will usually fight with them first, but with the Peacock Mantis Shrimp’s smasher, it can easily defeat a crab.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat them one by one. A mantis shrimp can easily spear or slice the prey in very short timing. The spearer mantis shrimp live to eat the soft-bodied prey such as fish, worms and said. The other type is the smasher which primarily eats shelled fish (snails, etc).
Crustaceans are among their favorites, so they love eating crabs and even fellow shrimps. Crabs will usually fight with them first, but with the Peacock Mantis Shrimp’s smasher, it can easily defeat a crab.
Yea my main concern was, that he was going to through the tank parameters sky high. If he ending up leaving 100 1/2 eaten snails and 10 hermits.. rotting in the tank. Or if he kills just because he’s bored and never eats some of them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back