Peacock Mantis Shrimp

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I’m new to this hobby and I have a few questions in regards to my setup. So my aquarium setup is a
- 38 Gallon Aqueon Tank 36x20x12
- Lid with a Light
- Aqueon QuietFlow HOB
- 40 pounds of live sand (Arriving tomorrow)
- Protein Skimmer from Fluval PS1*
- Fritz Turbo Start 900*
- Circulation Pump*
- 200 Watt Heater
- PVC pipe that’s shaped like a sideways ”U”
- API Saltwater Test Kit*
- Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride*
- Hermit Crabs from ReefCleaners.com
- Live Rock 20lbs*
- Instant Ocean Salt
- Thermometer
- Empty Shells from ReefCleaners.com
- Airline Tubing
- 8 five gallon buckets with lids

It will only be a Peacock Mantis Shrimp tank with no other livestock besides the food with hermit crabs

Is it best to invest in a Protein Skimmer or should I hold off for the time being?

* means yet to be ordered but tomorrow or the day after

Is there anything that I’m missing that I need look into or anything that can be removed from the list?
Is there any recommendations or advice, I’m all ears

I was going to get the RODI water tomorrow from a LFS and I‘m worried that my water will be ruined by how long the shipping will be for the Fritz turbo start will take and ammonia chloride.
Is there a reason to be worried or will getting a circulation pump tomorrow and running my filter stop that worry.

Any advice for cycling since that’s the thing I’m most worried about for how the process will turn out. Should I get the ammonia chloride or use some Aqueon Tropical fish flakes that came with the aquarium to produce that ammonia if it’s possible?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Protein skimmer may not be necessary unless you have nutrient issues

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing this is your first saltwater tank? If you put the sand and rock in and just feed a little thawed out mysis shrimp or marine pellets every day or two, it’ll be enough for the sand and rock, I don’t think you’d need anything else... how long were you going to let it cycle?

also with a hob, you’ll get a lot of salt creep... and there’s no point in using it for sw tanks. Just a circulation pump so water flows through the rocks should be ok, no skimmer unless you need it down the line

OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing this is your first saltwater tank? If you put the sand and rock in and just feed a little thawed out mysis shrimp or marine pellets every day or two, it’ll be enough for the sand and rock, I don’t think you’d need anything else... how long were you going to let it cycle?

also with a hob, you’ll get a lot of salt creep... and there’s no point in using it for sw tanks. Just a circulation pump so water flows through the rocks should be ok, no skimmer unless you need it down the line
Yep that’s correct for my first lol. I was planning on getting a Powerhead for it if that’s good. I‘m getting API QuickStart and the Saltwater test kit and Dr Tim’s Ammonia Chloride. Just going to let it cycle until everything is how it should be. Any tips/advice on cycling. When should I run my circulation pump and HOB filter?

Last edited:

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass on the API saltwater test kit, most of it you’ll only use a few times. I’d give BRSTv a watch on YouTube, check out their 5 minute guide playlist. Testing wise you need to test salinity, phosphate, nitrate, calcium, and alkalinity. Only one of those comes in the master kit from API. I’d recommend the Hanna salinity checker as it’s Extremely easy and will also do temp. It’s not the cheapest option but you won’t regret it. I’d also recommend getting an Auto Top Off such as the Tunze osmolator. I’d wait to get a skimmer until you need it, it won’t do much the first few months anyways. What light do you have? Peacocks can be pretty sensitive to light so unless you’re doing corals I’d go with something cheap and low powered for visibility, and turn it off when they’re molting. Hope that helps, and good luck, mantises are so much fun

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back