Peacock Tankmates?

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I wanted my first occupant of the new tank to be a Peacock shrimp. Full disclosure, I'm a newbie and my LFS knows this. I called the place and told the owner that's what I wanted for my first inhabitant. I appreciated that he had some concern. The first question was "Is that all you want in there?". Confidently I said, of course not, we will see what happens. I then got a little more specific and mentioned wanting a small mantis. 2-2.5 inches. Something that can grow with the tank and hopefully not see everything in the water as a food source or threat. The tank is 250 gallons. I believe there is plenty of real estate for the shrimp to claim and get cozy with. My question to the shrimp keeping pro's out there is, what are my best options for tankmates? I'd like to get something else to help with the bottom of the tank and etc. Is there anything else I should worry about an absolute "Don't do it"? I've seen some pictures on the forum of tanks with Peacocks and other wildlife, it's obvious it can be done. Is there a secret sauce I should be looking to replicate?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here’s the secret sauce! Don’t put anything in there your not willing to lose. If it punches a $300 gem tang, don’t be mad lol. I got damsels in mine when I had “one punch”, he can eat all the $7 fish he wants.

All CUC is fair game, just know you’ll be replacing. He’s not a psychopath killer, but will kill when he wants. If he gets scared his reaction is to punch it. Not many fish will survive even one punch.

Good luck!

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the sand-dwelling part in your plan that might not work out. Anything it finds along the bottom is probably going to be eaten at some point, maybe after a few minutes, maybe after a few months, but eventually. Any free swimming fish have a much better chance long-term. Other inverts like sea cucumbers and starfish will have a better chance than fish, snails, or crabs. An urchin will be fine. But as mentioned above, the golden rule of tankmates is “be prepared to lose anything you put in the tank.” No prize fish or even super expensive corals unless you’re rich and don’t care about losing them. I mention corals because it is not unprecedented for Peacocks to dislodge coral and use them as camouflage for the burrow entrances. All that said I’ve known many people who kept wrasses, Chromis, etc with Peacocks for years. Best of luck!

OP
OP
U

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm willing to take the risk and put some lesser cost fish in the tank and see how it goes. I'm curious how a puffer would do? My office folks really want one. I'm not so sure. We will see. Nonetheless, I will be sure to share the experience with the group!

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other potential side effect: if you add a fish that threatens your mantis you might not see him as much. Just something to consider.

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interstingly I have just uploaded a video dealing with this exact subject detailing what I keep with my peacock mantis shrimp Bruce and why I chose them. Hopefully it can help you out.

P.S. I can say that at least in Bruces case urchins were not safe (lasted about a week before it was dinner)

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm willing to take the risk and put some lesser cost fish in the tank and see how it goes. I'm curious how a puffer would do? My office folks really want one. I'm not so sure. We will see. Nonetheless, I will be sure to share the experience with the group!
nope, puffer would kill or be killed.

Noxsolaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interstingly I have just uploaded a video dealing with this exact subject detailing what I keep with my peacock mantis shrimp Bruce and why I chose them. Hopefully it can help you out.

P.S. I can say that at least in Bruces case urchins were not safe (lasted about a week before it was dinner)

Great video! Bruce definitely makes me want to get a mantis shrimp tank. Look forward to more content from you and Bruce.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I wanted my first occupant of the new tank to be a Peacock shrimp. Full disclosure, I'm a newbie and my LFS knows this. I called the place and told the owner that's what I wanted for my first inhabitant. I appreciated that he had some concern. The first question was "Is that all you want in there?". Confidently I said, of course not, we will see what happens. I then got a little more specific and mentioned wanting a small mantis. 2-2.5 inches. Something that can grow with the tank and hopefully not see everything in the water as a food source or threat. The tank is 250 gallons. I believe there is plenty of real estate for the shrimp to claim and get cozy with. My question to the shrimp keeping pro's out there is, what are my best options for tankmates? I'd like to get something else to help with the bottom of the tank and etc. Is there anything else I should worry about an absolute "Don't do it"? I've seen some pictures on the forum of tanks with Peacocks and other wildlife, it's obvious it can be done. Is there a secret sauce I should be looking to replicate?

I kept one with fish. All the fish residents had to go in first. Anything added after it saw as food.

Keeping a cuc is more difficult so algae control is more difficult. I guess employ some tangs or foxface.

They do punch coral and break them and bury them too.

Water needs to be kept pristine as they are prone to shell rot. Do not put them in a messy dirty FOWLR with messy fish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one with fish. All the fish residents had to go in first. Anything added after it saw as food.

Keeping a cuc is more difficult so algae control is more difficult. I guess employ some tangs or foxface.

They do punch coral and break them and bury them too.

Water needs to be kept pristine as they are prone to shell rot. Do not put them in a messy dirty FOWLR with messy fish.
I hear that some macro can be kept with them

OP
OP
U

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the first inhabitants arrived today. We decided to get some CUC workers in there to show activity and get things moving around. Snails, Emerald Crabs and some tiny hermits. These will more than likely be snacks for the Peacock. Once I find one. I'm hunting now for a little guy.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've been able to tell, mantis shrimp can grow up to about 6 inches. All the research I've seen so far says maybe you can keep them with other mantis shrimp in about a 20-30 gallon tank(recommended), but unless you want them to potentially attack and try to eat everything in the tank, they are really best left alone with out additional tank mates. Your tank size sounds impressive, but I would be very cautious with a mantis shrimp. I'm sorry if this isn't exactly what you were looking for, or perhaps wanted to hear, that's my opinion.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back