Pearly Jawfish and Cleaner Shrimp?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I'm planning for an upcoming tank build a small area of 4"+ depth of sand for a Yellow Head / Pearly Jawfish. I've only seen threads of Pistol Shrimp and Jawfish, but what about the smaller shrimp species? I really want a Pederson's Cleaner and a Caribbean Yucatan Cleaner Shrimp. Both get to about 1", and the jawfish seems to get around 4". I have heard that the yellowheads are a bit more shy than the other species, so I'm hoping this would work out. Any thoughts? Has anyone had stocking like this before? Thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pistol shrimp and jawfish are not the right pair. You can have both, but the jawfish may or may nor tolerate the pistol. Watchmen gobies are what live with the pistols. Cleaner shrimp are not the same thing and can live in a tank regardless of the pistol or jawfish.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pistol shrimp and jawfish are not the right pair. You can have both, but the jawfish may or may nor tolerate the pistol. Watchmen gobies are what live with the pistols. Cleaner shrimp are not the same thing and can live in a tank regardless of the pistol or jawfish.
I know, I just meant that that's a question I've seen mostly. I don't want a pistol shrimp. I'm just seeing if anyone's kept the smaller cleaner shrimps with a jawfish since I'm not sure if the Jawfish could eat the shrimp

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I just meant that that's a question I've seen mostly. I don't want a pistol shrimp. I'm just seeing if anyone's kept the smaller cleaner shrimps with a jawfish since I'm not sure if the Jawfish could eat the shrimp

Ah I think if you place the shrimp on a rock you would be fine . I don't think a jaw fish should be any more likely than any other fish to eat the shrimp

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I think if you place the shrimp on a rock you would be fine . I don't think a jaw fish should be any more likely than any other fish to eat the shrimp
Thanks! I've heard the Yellowheads are more skiddish than other species, so I think as long as they dont near the burrow and its fed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back