Pellet of Flake and Which Feeder

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. We are going on vacation for a week. We have a 75 gallon mixed reef. What is better, pellet or flake food and any recommendations on an auto feeder?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim feeder is cheap and reliable. I have much better results with pellets over flake. A small piece of tape over the outlet will help if you get the eheim.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim feeder is cheap and reliable. I have much better results with pellets over flake. A small piece of tape over the outlet will help if you get the eheim.
This is how I do mine, works great. OP if you go with the Eheim autofeeder, make sure you test out how much it feeds when using a tape so you can adjust accordingly. I've only use TDO Chromaboost pellets as it's more consistent on how much it dispenses.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone above. Pellets are better if your fish will eat them. I also have a Fish Mate f14 that allows flake’s reliably. It’s a bit clunky to set up but you can put many types of food in it and it will dispense everything.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Eheim autofeeder is great. I use mine all the time to increase my number of feedings. And it helps on vacations as well. I would recommend using a high quality pellet food that will not get soggy and gum up the feeder.

NLS (New Life Spectrum) pellets are high quality, available at most pet stores and will not gum up the autofeeder even in humid locations.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Eheim autofeeder is great. I use mine all the time to increase my number of feedings. And it helps on vacations as well. I would recommend using a high quality pellet food that will not get soggy and gum up the feeder.

NLS (New Life Spectrum) pellets are high quality, available at most pet stores and will not gum up the autofeeder even in humid locations.
PE pellets work great. I have the small pellets and calanus in mine to go 4 times a day for my anthias and chromis

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use New Life Spectrum pellets in a Apex AFS. Before I got the Apex AFS I used the Eheim for a while and was pretty happy with it for the price. Just do a test before putting it on the tank. I had to partially cover the opening with tape because on the lowest setting it was adding more than I wanted.

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I bought the Fish Mate because I liked how I can alternate the type of food each day. I bought New Life Spectrum pellets that said in the ad they are sinking. But they are floating. Anyone else with this problem? Or recommend a different one that will actually sink? I don't want them all going down the sump when on vacation.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I bought the Fish Mate because I liked how I can alternate the type of food each day. I bought New Life Spectrum pellets that said in the ad they are sinking. But they are floating. Anyone else with this problem? Or recommend a different one that will actually sink? I don't want them all going down the sump when on vacation.
Get a feeding ring. That will give them time to sink

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back