Pellet reactor to skimmer inlet mod.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people are aware that the outlet of a pellet reactor should discharge very close to the inlet of your protein skimmer. People often ask the best way to do this. Here is now I have converted my Reef octopus 150s to take the output of my reactor.

I purchased a 40mmx 1.1/4" threaded tee. The threaded end of the tee was used to push onto the inlet of the skimmer but I also needed to add some thing plastic around the skimmer inlet as the tee end was not a tight enough fit, kinda like brushing it to make a snug push fit.

I also cut a notch in the end of the Tee where the Tee attaches to the skimmer pump to go round the skimmer venturing. I did this so the Tee would push further onto the skimmers inlet.

I slash cut the other end of the Tee as I have my reactor in the same compartment as my skimmer giving more room and reducing the end of the tee by about 3/4".
I then put an elbow on the outlet tube of the reactor after shortening one end, and put it into the top of the tee pointing into the skimmer pump inlet this is a very loose fit and needs to be.

By using a Tee like this it balances the water going into the skimmer along with the reactor effluent. In this way it draws both the reactor effluent and surrounding sump water.

I have done a rough (very rough) drawing and included a few pics of before and after convering the tee with another fitted on the skimmer. Any questions just ask.

The Tee before conversion.
021062__56897_zoom.jpg

The Tee cut away ready for installing on the skimmer inlet
021062__56897_zoom.jpg

20200425_121043.jpg

20200425_121049.jpg

20200425_121110.jpg

Rough sectional sketch.
20200425_142645.jpg

You will have to workout what size Tee to use for your individual skimmer inlet as each model of skimmer with have different diameter inlet pipes. You will also need to be prepared to bush out or open up the end of the Tee that you are going to attach the the skimmers pump inlet as needed. I just cut some thin plastic to wrap around the skimmers inlet pipe and secured with glue to make a snug fit.

The Tee fitted to the skimmers pump venturi inlet with reactor pump fitted into the top. The elbow on the end of the reactor pipe is facing the pumps venturi inlet you can't see in the pic.
20200425_123337.jpg
20200425_121033.jpg
Pics didnt quite workout in the correct order but you get the idea.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that seems to have gone down like a lead balloon lol. Maybe it gave somebody an idea or perhaps pellet reactors have become yesterdays cure to nuitrent control and people don't much use them.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that seems to have gone down like a lead balloon lol. Maybe it gave somebody an idea or perhaps pellet reactors have become yesterdays cure to nuitrent control and people don't much use them.

I've never run a pellet reactor. IMO, my refugium and algae scrubber do everything pellets do at less cost. I like the idea though.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never run a pellet reactor. IMO, my refugium and algae scrubber do everything pellets do at less cost. I like the idea though.
Yeah if you have the space for a decent size fuge or an ATS that can keep up with nuitrents production. I have a waterfall ATS which needs to be at least half the size if not double its size and non room for a decent sized fuge.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back