Is this enough pvc to cement?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to rotate my gate valve because my new skimmer rest against it, with makes it not level. It's close but still tilted forward a little.
If I cut the pipe off of the elbow will I have enough pipe left to cement another elbow?
20240305_225429~3.jpg

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a union as to where you can remove the valve while you do this? If so you could cut it vertically and peal it off
Yeah, there's a union above the valve.
Looks like I can salvage 5/8" of pipe. Not sure how deep a schedule 80 elbow socket is.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a union as to where you can remove the valve while you do this? If so you could cut it vertically and peal it off
This...

If you can get away with adding 2 unions, you can make it so you can pivot the gate valve in any position.

Plus, with how outrageously expensive gate valves are getting, its best to plan ahead and try to salvage it for future use on another tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need to rotate my gate valve because my new skimmer rest against it, with makes it not level. It's close but still tilted forward a little.
If I cut the pipe off of the elbow will I have enough pipe left to cement another elbow?
20240305_225429~3.jpg
Ive worked with this little piece and no issues. I did use the blue PVC cement which is thicker

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This...

If you can get away with adding 2 unions, you can make it so you can pivot the gate valve in any position.

Plus, with how outrageously expensive gate valves are getting, its best to plan ahead and try to salvage it for future use on another tank.
I wanted to use 2 unions but unfortunately the height was not enough to squeeze another one in.

Ive worked with this little piece and no issues. I did use the blue PVC cement which is thicker
I think I'm gonna go this route. If the elbow is 1" I'm only 3/8" shy. That sounds worst after typing it out, lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back