Is this enough pvc to cement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pvtgloss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2022
Messages
2,282
Reaction score
3,312
Location
Asheville
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to rotate my gate valve because my new skimmer rest against it, with makes it not level. It's close but still tilted forward a little.
If I cut the pipe off of the elbow will I have enough pipe left to cement another elbow?
20240305_225429~3.jpg
 
Do you have a union as to where you can remove the valve while you do this? If so you could cut it vertically and peal it off
 
Do you have a union as to where you can remove the valve while you do this? If so you could cut it vertically and peal it off
Yeah, there's a union above the valve.
Looks like I can salvage 5/8" of pipe. Not sure how deep a schedule 80 elbow socket is.
 
Do you have a union as to where you can remove the valve while you do this? If so you could cut it vertically and peal it off
This...

If you can get away with adding 2 unions, you can make it so you can pivot the gate valve in any position.

Plus, with how outrageously expensive gate valves are getting, its best to plan ahead and try to salvage it for future use on another tank.
 
Before cutting, I'd try an eye dropper to put a little acetone all the way around the joint, and see if I can work it loose.
 
I need to rotate my gate valve because my new skimmer rest against it, with makes it not level. It's close but still tilted forward a little.
If I cut the pipe off of the elbow will I have enough pipe left to cement another elbow?
20240305_225429~3.jpg
Ive worked with this little piece and no issues. I did use the blue PVC cement which is thicker
 
This...

If you can get away with adding 2 unions, you can make it so you can pivot the gate valve in any position.

Plus, with how outrageously expensive gate valves are getting, its best to plan ahead and try to salvage it for future use on another tank.
I wanted to use 2 unions but unfortunately the height was not enough to squeeze another one in.

Ive worked with this little piece and no issues. I did use the blue PVC cement which is thicker
I think I'm gonna go this route. If the elbow is 1" I'm only 3/8" shy. That sounds worst after typing it out, lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new