Can someone explain how pvc unions help future modifications?

XLIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many threads identifying the benefits of union placements where you might have to disassemble later. However, I think I am missing a key concept.

For slip unions, it seems you are supposed to cement them similar to elbows. Doesn't this make a permanent connection? How is it advantageous then to add a union preemptively?

I see them as only useful if you want to fix a pipe you cut where you can then combine multiple pieces, but no purpose on initial build.

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the unions make sump cleaning and pump removal much easier. They allow me to do maintenance much easier overall in a fairly tight sump. With extra unions of the same manufacture laying around you can also redo parts of the plumbing much easier than having to cut up pipe as often.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to use a union if you don't want. PVC is very easy so if you want to change something just cut the pipe and either put it back together with a coupling, for about 50 cents or a union for $7.00. It doesn't matter, you can just keep cutting the pipe as much as you want.

OP
OP
XLIII

XLIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The union allows disassembly without having to cut the pipes. Kind of like having a nut and bolt vs a rivet or weld
But aren't slip unions cemented and therefore permanent? Is everyone actually using threaded pvc?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But aren't slip unions cemented and therefore permanent? Is everyone actually using threaded pvc?
You are misunderstanding….
Yes they are glued to the pipe but they still let you remove the entire section of pipe without cutting the pvc.

Example, above my return pump I have a union so that when I need to clean the pump I can just unscrew the union and take that section of pipe out the sump while leaving 90% of my return plumbing untouched.
I can clean the pump and put it right back in the system with no cutting or gluing

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s take a return pump going to a slip bulkhead. It’s cemented to the bulkhead and there is a union somewhere close to the pump. With the union you could remove the pump and pipe up to the union leaving the cemented section in place

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240303-073620.png

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to use a union if you don't want. PVC is very easy so if you want to change something just cut the pipe and either put it back together with a coupling, for about 50 cents or a union for $7.00. It doesn't matter, you can just keep cutting the pipe as much as you want.
Fernco's are my friend.

OP
OP
XLIII

XLIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks everyone for the great explanations. Looking at people's assembly build videos and discussions, unions looked like couplings. I can see how if the union itself is threaded the center be disassembled with glued parts on the end. Thanks everyone again

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt advise this, the more couplers you use the more resistance and turbulent flow. If you keep patching it up your making the plumbing less and less efficient and making the system work harder.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt advise this, the more couplers
PVC couplings do not restrict any flow. The inside diameter is the same as the inside of the pipe. Just my opinion of course.

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC couplings do not restrict any flow. The inside diameter is the same as the inside of the pipe. Just my opinion of course.
Anything that will disrupt flow will restrict, I get that its not as drastic as elbows though. I just come from the world of high performance cars so by nature I wanna eliminate any obstruction if I can avoid it is all.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and iron pipe couplings will slightly restrict or disrupt flow, but not PVC elbows, not even a little.
But it's not that important.
I am also a mechanic and inventor. Also a male model, in my mind anyway. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back