Pencil wrasses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brah02
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brah02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2025
Messages
408
Reaction score
203
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a royal pencil, or a candy pencil (also called splendid pencil) that they could compare the two? Which is better looking in person and which has a better personality? Candys are hard to come by, I see royals online all the time. Do I wait for a candy to pop up or just get a royal?
 
Does anyone have a royal pencil, or a candy pencil (also called splendid pencil) that they could compare the two? Which is better looking in person and which has a better personality? Candys are hard to come by, I see royals online all the time. Do I wait for a candy to pop up or just get a royal?
Ive had a few pencils over the last 2-3 years;
Kaleidos
Splendens
Edwardi
Severnsi
Labrynthus

Out of curiosity, what is the rest of your stock? I’d personally say this is what would determine one or the other for me - if it’s largely wrasse or peaceful species dominant, either will work. But if it’s largely tangs and other fairly boisterous species? I’d go towards the Cerasinus complex due to them generally being more tolerant to being pushed around.
 
Does anyone have a royal pencil, or a candy pencil (also called splendid pencil) that they could compare the two? Which is better looking in person and which has a better personality? Candys are hard to come by, I see royals online all the time. Do I wait for a candy to pop up or just get a royal?
Ive had a few pencils over the last 2-3 years;
Kaleidos
Splendens
Edwardi
Severnsi
Labrynthus

Out of curiosity, what is the rest of your stock? I’d personally say this is what would determine one or the other for me - if it’s largely wrasse or peaceful species dominant, either will work. But if it’s largely tangs and other fairly boisterous species? I’d go towards the Cerasinus complex due to them generally being more tolerant to being pushed around.
Others in the tank: pink margin wrasse, yellow wrasse, dusky wrasse, mocha storm clown, orange storm clown, scribbled rabbit, Midas blenny, two lyretail anthias, sharknose goby, yasha goby. I have a Royal gramma in QT currently as well. Had a pintail wrasse and a coral beauty but both carpet surfed in the same week 😓 I want to replace them eventually.

I might be adding a Rhomboid wrasse too, my lfs just texted me saying he can get one, it’s been on my list for a while.
 
Does anyone have a royal pencil, or a candy pencil (also called splendid pencil) that they could compare the two? Which is better looking in person and which has a better personality? Candys are hard to come by, I see royals online all the time. Do I wait for a candy to pop up or just get a royal?
Ive had a few pencils over the last 2-3 years;
Kaleidos
Splendens
Edwardi
Severnsi
Labrynthus

Out of curiosity, what is the rest of your stock? I’d personally say this is what would determine one or the other for me - if it’s largely wrasse or peaceful species dominant, either will work. But if it’s largely tangs and other fairly boisterous species? I’d go towards the Cerasinus complex due to them generally being more tolerant to being pushed around.
Update, I have a rhomboid male, and male pseudojuloides cerasnius I’ll be picking up next week 😊
 
Does anyone have a royal pencil, or a candy pencil (also called splendid pencil) that they could compare the two? Which is better looking in person and which has a better personality? Candys are hard to come by, I see royals online all the time. Do I wait for a candy to pop up or just get a royal?
Ive had a few pencils over the last 2-3 years;
Kaleidos
Splendens
Edwardi
Severnsi
Labrynthus

Out of curiosity, what is the rest of your stock? I’d personally say this is what would determine one or the other for me - if it’s largely wrasse or peaceful species dominant, either will work. But if it’s largely tangs and other fairly boisterous species? I’d go towards the Cerasinus complex due to them generally being more tolerant to being pushed around.
Update, I have a rhomboid male, and male pseudojuloides cerasnius I’ll be picking up next week 😊
That cerasnius is a holy grail fish to me. May I ask your tank size? And after you’ve had it awhile, please update us on how he’s doing! Photos would be most welcome too. Best of luck with him!
 
Update, I have a rhomboid male, and male pseudojuloides cerasnius I’ll be picking up next week 😊
Cerasinus is definitely the better option! Can hold its own but won’t be a pain when you inevitably want to add 2-3 more pencils 😉
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new