Penny in my water

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this might seem very silly but I just mixed up almost 20 gal of rodi water with salt a couple hours ago. On the way of wheeling it to my office to do a water change, I see a penny in the bottom of the can. The can has had water in it for a couple weeks, holding for the next water change. Salt went in today, though there could have been some residue salt water left over.

I have no idea how it got there or for how long. Can I use this water or should I dump it.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you are fine as there wasn't much water in there to begin with I guess.
The mix ratio is pretty big here.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, this might seem very silly but I just mixed up almost 20 gal of rodi water with salt a couple hours ago. On the way of wheeling it to my office to do a water change, I see a penny in the bottom of the can. The can has had water in it for a couple weeks, holding for the next water change. Salt went in today, though there could have been some residue salt water left over.

I have no idea how0it got there or for how long. Can I use this water or should I dump it.

Why risk a problem for 20 gallons of salt water?

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of copper leaching from a penny has got to be astronomically small.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The amount of copper leaching from a penny has got to be astronomically small.

Right - its probably not a problem - but for 20 gallons of water - I guess I would just make more water.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not worth the risk and headache . Just dump the water and start over. You may lose more than a few gallons of water if you don't.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no Idea it was at least 10 years ago so it was an older penny

Its rough.... takes me many hours to make 20g RODI. But, I'm so paranoid that i would dump the 20g water and start over! I don't like risk... i bet I'm the only person who can (and has) gone to Las Vegas and refused to gamble...but then again, maybe I'm not so against risk as much as I'm a tight-wad. In fact, if i found a penny in my RODI water, i would still dig it out and put it in my pocket! Lol.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pennys are mostly zinc. dont know what zinc does.

Well - now she didn't say the 'year' of the Penny. But - a new penny has 0.06 gm of copper - if it was dissolved in 40 l (10g) that would give .0015 gm/l or 1.5 mg/l or 1.5 ppm copper concentration or 1500 ppb copper. In that 10 gallons of water. Prob not all was dissolved. But again why risk it. Copper is toxic to invertebrates in the ppb range. Since there are no 'organics' in newly mixed seawater, there Could be more of an effect. Also would depend on the pH of the end water.

Last edited:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its rough.... takes me many hours to make 20g RODI. But, I'm so paranoid that i would dump the 20g water and start over! I don't like risk... i bet I'm the only person who can (and has) gone to Las Vegas and refused to gamble...but then again, maybe I'm not so against risk as much as I'm a tight-wad. In fact, if i found a penny in my RODI water, i would still dig it out and put it in my pocket! Lol.
I understand and what happened to me was like I said many years ago. It really upset me I had had that shrimp for like 7 years

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the penny look like? Is it in good condition? If I was you I wouldnt risk it

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all. I couldn't read the age of the penny so it may have been on the bottom for more than just last couple weeks. I have no idea. I think I cleaned out the can last time, but can't remember. So I dumped the water. Hated to lose the salt as I switched to red sea pro but don't want the risk. @Idoc yes, I pocketed the penny. Have a 5 gal jug nearly full of em. Just washed out can, rinsed with cleaning vinegar (stronger than regular), rinsed good outside and just started fresh water. I actually have another can of water but it is only for fresh rodi water, used to fill gal jugs for top off of qt tanks. Could transfer most of it over but will just wait and do water change tomorrow...

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about the metal in the can of water than a penny. Unless can also means plastic bucket.

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
foot-in-mouth-header.jpg

I swear after i pushed send i knew what you meant

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back