Pentair or Aqua Ultra UV?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you think of it. I'm looking at grabbing a UV sterilizer. I only looked at the pentair 25W. I'd be running it on a total water volume of about 85 gallons. 55W lifegard overkill?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you think of it. I'm looking at grabbing a UV sterilizer. I only looked at the pentair 25W. I'd be running it on a total water volume of about 85 gallons. 55W lifegard overkill?

I will definitely let you know. From my understanding, the only risk with going to large is that at a certain point it becomes a heater in your tank that never turns off. Not sure how much of an issue you have with heat in your tank.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Badilac, do you share the same opinion as the others, that a UV should be mounted horizontal? Vertical would fit much better for me.

For what it is worth, Pentair does not suggest mounting them horizontally but if you do, to mount them at an angle so potential air bubbles move to the top of the unit (where the light mounts to the body).

Edit: Pentair also has a "window" at the top and bottom of the unit that allows you to easily see if the light is on. This is true of the 40w (not sure of the other models).

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, Pentair does not suggest mounting them horizontally but if you do, to mount them at an angle so potential air bubbles move to the top of the unit (where the light mounts to the body).

Edit: Pentair also has a "window" at the top and bottom of the unit that allows you to easily see if the light is on. This is true of the 40w (not sure of the other models).

Good to know, thanks.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys. New skimmer coming in early this week, looking to power it with sicce ADV 7.0 which seems to be plenty of power to run through the skimmer. Can I have a T off with a valve to provide a smaller amount of flow through a UV sterilizer? Is it reasonable to run both the skimmer and UV sterilizer off this pump rated at 1900gph? If the take off tubing to the UV was 25% open I feel like it should get the appropriate flow through it.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys. New skimmer coming in early this week, looking to power it with sicce ADV 7.0 which seems to be plenty of power to run through the skimmer. Can I have a T off with a valve to provide a smaller amount of flow through a UV sterilizer? Is it reasonable to run both the skimmer and UV sterilizer off this pump rated at 1900gph? If the take off tubing to the UV was 25% open I feel like it should get the appropriate flow through it.

No, skimmer pumps and return pumps are different. They have different impellers. A skimmer impeller is designed to pull air into it. Usually through a pinwheel impeller.

I have also never heard of a new skimmer coming without it's own pump.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, skimmer pumps and return pumps are different. They have different impellers. A skimmer impeller is designed to pull air into it. Usually through a pinwheel impeller.

I have also never heard of a new skimmer coming without it's own pump.
The sicce ADV is an AC pump, non-pinwheel. Getting the skimmer from LifeReef which I am getting the mag drive 9.5 with it, but I've decided to use that to mix my new saltwater and I'll likely run the sicce to power the skimmer, purely because it's even stronger of a pump and runs at about half the watts for something running continuously. The nice part of these skimmers is you can run whatever pump you want essentially, as long as it's powerful enough.

How's your tank doing as far as cloudiness or anything? I'd be interested to know how effective it is in clearing up your water when you get your UV connected. Keep me updated!

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pinwheel is not a brand, it's the type of impeller that's on most skimmer pumps. Even if you could run a return pump on a skimmer (which I've never heard of a skimmer like that), that pump would likely not be large enough to run a skimmer and a uv

I do not have the uv yet. It's supposed to be here on Monday. But the plumbing parts aren't suppose to be here until Wednesday.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right right. The point of lifereef skimmers are that you can use any pump, not pinwheel driven pumps. You'd have to check out their website and design. He's a one-man show that's been making these skimmers for many years. The website is dated, but I ordered based on the countless good reviews I've found and heard form other owners. In any case I will probably stay away from running a T off the main line to provide flow through the UV and keep it solely a skimmer pump.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! I'm thinking of getting a lifereef as well and was stressing about having a pump for the skimmer and a separate one for the uv. If this is doable then I could just run one pump and cut back on the heat of running 2 pumps.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This showed up today. I knew the measurements, but didn't realize just how big it was until I saw it in person

20200413_175544.jpg 20200413_175225.jpg

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look that big in the picture but it is, this thing is like the size of a leg

For a size reference, that's a 1" true union ball valve in the pic

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look that big in the picture but it is, this thing is like the size of a leg

For a size reference, that's a 1" true union ball valve in the pic
Is that the 3" model or the 5"? And what size plumbing are you going with for inlet and outlet?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my pro max 90 mounted vertically. I used 1” reducing couplings. I also installed a flow meter after the unit so I know how much flow is going through the unit. My Apex will shut it down when flow gets below 400gph. And will delay it coming back on for 10 minutes. I also have it set to shut down if the temp gets above 82 degrees. That’s never happened and I run it 24/7.
D52A352A-5C1C-4EA0-A209-D275E84B954F.png
91353C11-7A91-479F-BB6F-FFC056367E6E.png

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my pro max 90 mounted vertically. I used 1” reducing couplings. I also installed a flow meter after the unit so I know how much flow is going through the unit. My Apex will shut it down when flow gets below 400gph. And will delay it coming back on for 10 minutes. I also have it set to shut down if the temp gets above 82 degrees. That’s never happened and I run it 24/7.
Good looking install!

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What size uv is that? And on what size tank?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beast! let me know how you end up plumbing it. That's what I'm trying to figure out most before I go ahead and get one I think. Goal for me is water clarity.

Edit: Does anybody have any opinions on the 24W green machine submersible UVs?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back