People say lighting doesn't matter, but is that really true?

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing the comment "It's a FOWLR, light doesn't matter, use what you want". In principle I agree, but given how amazing reefs look with nice LED fixtures, why isn't this a bigger component of FOWLR tanks? Bigger tanks, even FOWLR are expensive and often have beautiful, very expensive fish, and if we are being honest...many use crap lighting and don't look nearly as good as they could.

That said, I get that most FOWLR keepers won't want to spend $500-800 x3 to light a 6' tank, but at the same time, there HAS to be some moderate options that don't break the bank but still make the fish and tank really pop. I'm still in the planning stages of my 210g FOWLR (new addition to our house ETA July) and lighting is really the thing that I can't figure out. I'd like to keep the budget under $500, but want some LED spot lights that look good. My best idea so far is either two Kessil A160 or AI Prime at each end, pointed a little toward the middle. Another option is something like these Lominie brand LEDs from Amazon Lominie LED which would only be $300 for three.

I'd love to hear ideas and also to see how FOWLR keepers are lighting their 6'+ tanks with lights that really make their fish pop!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing the comment "It's a FOWLR, light doesn't matter, use what you want". In principle I agree, but given how amazing reefs look with nice LED fixtures, why isn't this a bigger component of FOWLR tanks? Bigger tanks, even FOWLR are expensive and often have beautiful, very expensive fish, and if we are being honest...many use crap lighting and don't look nearly as good as they could.

That said, I get that most FOWLR keepers won't want to spend $500-800 x3 to light a 6' tank, but at the same time, there HAS to be some moderate options that don't break the bank but still make the fish and tank really pop. I'm still in the planning stages of my 210g FOWLR (new addition to our house ETA July) and lighting is really the thing that I can't figure out. I'd like to keep the budget under $500, but want some LED spot lights that look good. My best idea so far is either two Kessil A160 or AI Prime at each end, pointed a little toward the middle. Another option is something like these Lominie brand LEDs from Amazon Lominie LED which would only be $300 for three.

I'd love to hear ideas and also to see how FOWLR keepers are lighting their 6'+ tanks with lights that really make their fish pop!
For FOWLR, a whiter dominant light schedule and a good diet for your fish is key for color pop. They dont glow under UV or actinic light unfortunately.....

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using my reef breeders photon V2+ that I used on my reef tank.

but another option would be the noobs k sotmehing or other haha

there also the cheaper led bars you get on ali babba i hear good things about them. forgot them name tho. it's late guess i should get of the computer...ha

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been racking my brain about lighting options for my new FOWLR build as well. It’s not easy. If you go too cheap the tank looks like crap. But like you said do I really want to spend huge $$ on leds for a fish only tank?? It’s hard to find s happy medium.

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe lighting does matter. I try and give my fish a simulated lighting scheme.
1. 12:00 pm actinic Reef Brite comes on
2. 12:30 pm 50/50 Reef Brite comes on
3. 12:35 pm actinic Reef Brite turns off
4. 6:00 pm 2nd 50/50 Reef Brite turns on
5. 9:00 pm 2nd 50/50 Reef Brite turns off
6. 9:25 pm actinic Reef Brite turns on
7. 9:30 pm 50/50 Reef Brite turns off
8.10:00pm actinic Reef Brite turns off

This simulates sunrise-peek sun-sunset.

I also have a 3rd 50/50 on a smart plug for those times you want to really light the tank!

Anything you can do to give the fish a simulated lighting effect they would have in their natural environment I believe helps.

All the lights are on smart plugs to make it easy to control them.

Also these Lights give a nice shimmering effect as a bonus

Last edited:

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 FOWLR tanks one has macro. Neither have corals. For my smaller 40G with the macro, I bought a cheap LED light at Petco. My macro are thriving. I use very little blue as I am not a fan of blue tanks. Light is over a year old.
I have 2 LED bars on my 125 G, for at least 5 years now. They were over $100 each and I I thought it was expensive at the time. These were bought in a LFS. I also keep the blues to the minimum. Mainly use blues while the light is ramping up and down. Fish are doing fine, varying in age from +12 years to +3 years old. The only fish for which coloring gets a little prettier with the blue light are my green chromis. They get a little iridescent. No difference in beauty or coloring with any of the other fish I have in either tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are the led light bars I was thinking about the other day. if I did not already have lighting i would look into them or the Orpheks. I believe the Orpheks have a new model out that you can dim and daisy chain together.

here some real work reviews and thoughts on these lights:
https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/quanta-bars.10149/

and here is the noops lights I where talking about.

Fichmiester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Current USA LED 6' Strip, bought on sale from Amazon for $200 on my 125G FOWLR...use highly white dominant lighting and it works like a charm. Tanks look like crap because of algae and lack of cleaning, not because of bad lighting, lol.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting topic. While I have been one that stated lighting doesnt matter, having bright lighting does make a difference. As mentioned, the whites is what really brings out the colors. If I was looking to save some money, I’d go with AliExpress light bars. If I wasn’t sure if I was going to do coral in the future, I’d look at orphek or quanta pros

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party, but I have a LED Shop Light by Honeywell over my FOWLR and it makes the fish look good and grows coralline like crazy, the the water has a slight yellow tinge. There is a LOT of purple in this tank, so that probably helps it not look more yellow.

No, lights do not matter for the FOWLR. They can matter to you.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Late to the party, but I have a LED Shop Light by Honeywell over my FOWLR and it makes the fish look good and grows coralline like crazy, the the water has a slight yellow tinge. There is a LOT of purple in this tank, so that probably helps it not look more yellow.

No, lights do not matter for the FOWLR. They can matter to you.

I agree with this.

If you really want adjustable LEDs, just get some of those cheap chinese LEDs off Amazon with the weird names like GOOFUSTANG.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My normal FOWLR advice is to not spend too much on lights, keep the temp at 72 and save some coin and the baby narwhals and stuff, keep your residual no3 and po4 fairly low like below 20 and .2 so that coralline algae will grow and have plenty of live rock for the fish to hide and microfauna to grow to eat ich tomonts and other diseases when the fall off of the fish (these microfauna also need reasonable no3 and po4 levels to thrive in most cases).

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing coralline might not be restricted to reef tanks and perhaps GSP and Xenia can flourish. Beats bare rocks although none of that require high intensity yet spectrum still matters. Some fish will show up better under better LEDs. Plus what's the alternative. Plant lights which seem to have greenish tint to me and I'd prefer seeing fish under a blue Kessil than their plant option.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing coralline might not be restricted to reef tanks and perhaps GSP and Xenia can flourish. Beats bare rocks although none of that require high intensity yet spectrum still matters. Some fish will show up better under better LEDs. Plus what's the alternative. Plant lights which seem to have greenish tint to me and I'd prefer seeing fish under a blue Kessil than their plant option.
Given some water changes, coralline will probably grow and GSP or xenia could make a nice mat throughout the rockwork and may be good for nutrient control.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular red of blue mushrooms are usually fish safe, grow well and need very little light. Some fish might eat them like huge puffers, but even my very large angelfish will leave them alone.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given some water changes, coralline will probably grow and GSP or xenia could make a nice mat throughout the rockwork and may be good for nutrient control.
Blows my mind Xenia used for nutrient control but it’s a viable solution.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all the input, I've been busy and haven't spent much time on here lately! I'd love to see some FTS along with a description of what you are lighting with.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are the led light bars I was thinking about the other day. if I did not already have lighting i would look into them or the Orpheks. I believe the Orpheks have a new model out that you can dim and daisy chain together.

here some real work reviews and thoughts on these lights:
https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/quanta-bars.10149/

and here is the noops lights I where talking about.
This type of light bar is what I had been thinking about, but even these for a 6' tank ain't gonna be cheap. $700 including tax for my tank. I do want to get plenty of light because I am probably going to try to grow Xenia/GSP for nutrient control and aesthetics.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back