People who dose alkalinity and also do intermittent water changes, how do you account for the all bump from the WC?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my Red Sea dosing pump dialed in and my all is a perfect 8.2dKH. If I were to do weekly water changes, my salt mixes to around 12dKH. So with a 10% WC I’m looking at about 8.5 dKH. Then if I did another one, it would increase again (because my dosing pump is set up to hold my all level)

Is there a way to dilute the dKH? Do people just turn off their dosing pump for a day or so till it drops back down? Do people not care?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Red Sea dosing pump dialed in and my all is a perfect 8.2dKH. If I were to do weekly water changes, my salt mixes to around 12dKH. So with a 10% WC I’m looking at about 8.5 dKH. Then if I did another one, it would increase again (because my dosing pump is set up to hold my all level)

Is there a way to dilute the dKH? Do people just turn off their dosing pump for a day or so till it drops back down? Do people not care?

Interested to hear your thoughts!
My tank eats 2.5 dkh in one day, so 10% water change would only increase dkh in your example by 0.4 - which will be consumed in a few daily hours.

If your dkh consumption is low then perhaps it is worth considering using a different salt brand. You can also lower alkalinity by adding any acid: vinegar, hydrochloric, muratic or citric acid.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also lower alkalinity by adding any acid: vinegar, hydrochloric, muratic or citric acid.
Non mineral acids like vinegar and citric acid are poor solutions. They are carbon sources, and the alkalinity will rise exactly back to the starting level once the bacteria consume it.

If you want to lower your alkalinity, using sodium bisulfate or hydrochloride acid (muriatic) are both excellent options. Aerate heavily for 24 hours prior to using it to bring back up the pH.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be having the same problem when I upgrade my tank. The alk will be about 8.2 and the new salt mixes to about 10. I’m hoping small water changes of 10% don’t affect the corals negatively but if it does, I’ll go back to my old salt.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be having the same problem when I upgrade my tank. The alk will be about 8.2 and the new salt mixes to about 10. I’m hoping small water changes of 10% don’t affect the corals negatively but if it does, I’ll go back to my old salt.
You can easily lower the alk in the bucket, then you can use any salt you’d want. :)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily lower the alk in the bucket, then you can use any salt you’d want. :)

Thanks. I’ve started researching this and I’ve only found harsh chemical products to be used for that purpose. I’m really hesitant in using those, and don’t like the idea of having to aerate the saltwater for 24 hours to raise PH.

Do you know of any other way to do it ?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve started researching this and I’ve only found harsh chemical products to be used for that purpose. I’m really hesitant in using those, and don’t like the idea of having to aerate the saltwater for 24 hours to raise PH.

Do you know of any other way to do it ?
You can use sodium bisulfate. They are granular, and it doesn’t release fumes like muritatic acid. It is still an acid, so you don’t want to handle it by hand, but it’s much safer.

I found aerating for 12 hours is good enough. It’s better to aerate for longer, but it doesn’t noticeably drop the pH by much.

Now, if you want the easiest solution without worrying about acids, you might consider buying a salt that matches your all goals. It’s much easier. I don’t think you’d get much rise with only 10% weekly water changes.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, if you want the easiest solution without worrying about acids, you might consider buying a salt that matches your all goals. It’s much easier. I don’t think you’d get much rise with only 10% weekly water changes
I agree. This new salt (Instant Ocean salt) is a test as I am trying to save a little money on salt. I didn’t do a good job at researching, as I hadn’t noticed the high alkalinity with this salt.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a salt that matches your desired numbers is a lot easier said than done. The best I’ve been able to do is use aqua forest salt which is close to where I want things in my tank but still a bit lower than my target. I then just add a bit of calcium chloride and soda ash to the water change water to reach my target.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back