When did you adjust / stop water changes

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious on when people modified their water change habit. Skipping a week or going cold turkey.

I recently moved from a 20g to 100g. In my 20g, i did 15-20% WC weekly religiously unless I was traveling. I am sure it helped a lot in the beginning, but almost seemed to make things worse towards the end (upsetting the stability).

in my 100g, I have 85lbs dry (precycled), 15 lbs ocean rock. Slightly oversized skimmer, bio bricks, large fuge, etc. Parameters after month 1 have beginning to level out. 3 N, .08 P, 8.3 alk (dosing AFR). Large CuC.

I’ve been doing 10% WC so far, and outside of the expected diatoms and a little neon green, no algae in the display (fuge is another story)

I’ve dumped a couple of rounds of pods into the tank, plus seeded it from some stuff at ipsf. Correline is starting to spread to the dry rocks, etc.

I know I am still far away from 0 WC territory being so new. However, I am also in the zone of not wanting to lower nutrients much lower (eg considering actually dosing a little N).

What are the markers to skip a WC? I would almost like to be able to say: do water change if X is needed.

When would you modify your schedule.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I try to do 10% weekly and only increase the % if nitrates get out of hand. I don't have a ton of corals either so water changes are more than enough to replenish calcium, magnesium, etc

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am curious on when people modified their water change habit. Skipping a week or going cold turkey.

I recently moved from a 20g to 100g. In my 20g, i did 15-20% WC weekly religiously unless I was traveling. I am sure it helped a lot in the beginning, but almost seemed to make things worse towards the end (upsetting the stability).

in my 100g, I have 85lbs dry (precycled), 15 lbs ocean rock. Slightly oversized skimmer, bio bricks, large fuge, etc. Parameters after month 1 have beginning to level out. 3 N, .08 P, 8.3 alk (dosing AFR). Large CuC.

I’ve been doing 10% WC so far, and outside of the expected diatoms and a little neon green, no algae in the display (fuge is another story)

I’ve dumped a couple of rounds of pods into the tank, plus seeded it from some stuff at ipsf. Correline is starting to spread to the dry rocks, etc.

I know I am still far away from 0 WC territory being so new. However, I am also in the zone of not wanting to lower nutrients much lower (eg considering actually dosing a little N).

What are the markers to skip a WC? I would almost like to be able to say: do water change if X is needed.

When would you modify your schedule.
After about 3-4 months or when tests are consistent with favorable results you can go every 3 weeks and eventually 3 weeks

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 3-4 months or when tests are consistent with favorable results you can go every 3 weeks and eventually 3 weeks
So like:
- 10% WC Months 1-4
- if parametes are stable and favorable / acceptable, shift to WC every 2-3 weeks
- after another 3 months validate and move to every 4-6 weeks
- etc

Thrown in some ICP test along the way to create a baseline for changes.

?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So like:
- 10% WC Months 1-4
- if parametes are stable and favorable / acceptable, shift to WC every 2-3 weeks
- after another 3 months validate and move to every 4-6 weeks
- etc

Thrown in some ICP test along the way to create a baseline for changes.

?
You got it add occasional liquid bacteria

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to change water (10%) once every month or so but sometimes go a few months between. Struggling to keep nitrates up and PO4 holding steady at 0.05, so water changes aren't exactly helping me with nutrients. I already feed heavy, so not an issue there, just fast growing stuff consuming rapidly. I stopped trying to stay on schedule when everything started growing and looking nice and the tank itself started keeping nutrients down. I don't run a skimmer and change filter floss once every 2-3 weeks--yeah, it's pretty gross ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone the other way throughout the years. I want more frequent water changes, continuous daily water changes being the ideal.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone the other way throughout the years. I want more frequent water changes, continuous daily water changes being the ideal.
Yeah, if I had the space to do this that would be the preferred (like 1% a day). Unfortunately I don’t, and running drainage pipes through the house isn’t an option.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disclaimer:
there is a cartoon somewhere of bugs bunny testing bombs with a hammer ….
going without water changes is just like that, it works until it doesn’t…
…soapboxing out of the way :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
but yeah I’ve been on the no water change wish list, and generally speaking I’ll start skipping weeks when I see coralline algae (or that hard green stuff) dominating/replacing the soft brown green stuff on the glass …
not a absolute or even scientific but glass algae is sorta a sign balance & stability is setting in or not

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never changed the routine - for 16 years it’s been always a weekly WC, except for rare occasions when I really couldn’t.
Only changes were the amounts, between tank upgrades.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back