Peppermint eating birds nest

willfly4food

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
22
Location
Spring
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a peppermint shrimp is eating my birds nest. I got rid of one that seemed agressive. I can't tell if this is a problem with the birds nest (sick) or the shrimp.
Dkh 9.0
Cal 450
1400 mag
It's not on the ends of the branches but more chunks at random.
20181025_081321.jpeg
 
Should I frag it? Can you cut through healthy parts and be ok?
 
what other possibilities have you considered in terms of causes of polyp loss? it's really hard to tell anything from those pictures. what fish do you have in your tank? What pests? I have seen damsels clear areas of different sps off when nesting. I haven't experienced peppermint shrimp eating coral before, maybe they are cleaning up dead or dying tissue when you see them on the coral?
 
If it indeed the peppermints, then they will stop if you feed them. They are not coral eaters, but they also will not be happy to starve to death. I have never had a well-fed one that was a risk to anything. They cannot live on poo alone and need actual food.
 
Peppermint shrimp (not all) but some will tear up BN, Poci, Stylo.. any of the SPS with long, fuzzy PE. They will also munch on LPS too. You could try feeding them more, but IME when they get the appetite for a particular coral they will keep heading back to that. I would just remove it if you can.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new