Peppermint shrimp and aiptasia.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ordered from Algae Barn, but I have ordered from ReefCleaners and have had great success with the shrimp they collect. Peppermint Shrimp are generally considered reef safe, however I have had Peppermints who go after Acans when they clear the aiptasia. Good luck.

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had good luck with them but not through that website.
Agree that they eliminated all my aptasia over two months. completely gone. however noticed acans and other corals start to get snipped away. To the sump they went.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had good luck with them but not through that website.
Agree that they eliminated all my aptasia over two months. completely gone. however noticed acans and other corals start to get snipped away. To the sump they went.
They claim their specific species wont hurt corals

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust that. ANYTHING can get an appetite for coral especially if you remove the food source.
I mean once u have aiptasia u always have aiptasia they inside your pumps, pipes etc. no?

Gman83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have three, but i didn't get them from Algae Barn. I've had no issues with them going after coral. Lysmata wurdemanni are the most coral safe. There are some older posts out there (sorry couldn't find them, I'm on my phone) on how to ID them by their markings.

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents. I read on here it's a risk with peppermint shrimp with them eating coral. Also that it can be 50/50 or worse with them actually eating aiptasia or not. My LFS has a tank he grows aiptasia out just to drop them into the peppermint shrimp tank. He showed me. He picked up an aiptasia, dropped it into his peppermint tank and the shrimp went straight for it. I had about 15-20 tiny little aiptasia in my tank. The live rock has been wet for YEARS before I even got it. I added a peppermint shrimp, I didn't add corals yet, and within 2 days all traces of aiptasia were gone. There was ONE bigger aiptasia polyp I had, that it didn't eat, and I injected it with lemon juice. It withered and died. All other traces are gone and when I broadcast fees the tank the shrimp eats what it catches.

If you can get a shrimp that you've actually seen eat aiptasia, then it'll eat them. As far as them eating your corals, not fully sure about that. But just keep them fed I suppose, but I've also read otherwise on here.

Just my experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back