Peppermint Shrimp are carrying eggs. How to...

heardfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about raising shrimp, but do seahorse and clownfish.
I made some of my own Kreisell tanks out of 2 gallon fish bowls . It was needed for the type of seahorse fry I was raising at the time. Or at least what we thought back then. It’s basically a jellyfish tank. I drill holes in two sides of the bowl and place screen for seahorse fry. Smaller type fry you would have to use mesh to prevent them from getting out. I use a small pump in the aquarium to slowly pump water into the bowl to create a slow circular flow as some water leaves the bowl . It works very well.
06CDA4DF-7946-478F-A77C-64B682C77340.jpeg
A15F0C62-39BB-4625-B7EB-077FE5A84312.jpeg
I have been searching for instructions to make a Kreisel like this one. Do you have more pics or more instructions? I’m hoping to be part of the land hermit crab breeding program but have never gotten them all the way to shells. Apparently I need a Kreisel tank to give me better odds.

Nate89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching for instructions to make a Kreisel like this one. Do you have more pics or more instructions? I’m hoping to be part of the land hermit crab breeding program but have never gotten them all the way to shells. Apparently I need a Kreisel tank to give me better odds.
It looks like from the pictures that they have a 2 Gal fish bowl inside another aquarium. it appears that the fishbowl has a hole drilled in both sides of it with either window screen mesh or a plastic canvas covering the hole and a small pump to circulate the water which I am assuming is in side the aquarium but outside the fishbowl.

should be pretty easy to make:
get a fishbowl
drill a hole in each side of it and silicone or glue the mesh to it
place inside an aquarium and fill with water and set up your pump.

there could be more but that's what i can see from the pictures

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So actually I believe the whole kreissel thing for shrimp isn't as important as we thought - they don't need a kreissel tank, and the phytoplankton is only for them to be able to see their prey in the first week (and if using BBS, for them to eat until the baby shrimp gobble them up) and then you can move on to dry food in suspension. I've grown them in a 5 gallon bucket with a sponge filter. Some research papers studying lysmata development have them in a 20 gallon with only a sponge filter (I personally place it in the center). They just need a current they can ride.

The book "How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll is a bit older, but has some key pieces of advice that are still relevant.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back