Peppermint Shrimp Death

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I got a peppermint shrimp about a month ago to replace two I banished to the sump for eating LPS (they were the more aggressive Atlantic type). One of the old ones still lives in the sump. I didn’t realize that the new shrimp in my DT was pregnant, but I came back home Kate last night and found a bunch of babies swimming about (I think the sump shrimp fertilized them via the water column). The DT shrimp was swimming around as well as it was spreading the babies.

Fast forward to this morning, I found the DT shrimp chopped off at the head (I don’t know where the back half was). I can’t figure out if it died from birth, molting issues after birthing, or getting sucked into an MP40 (and getting chopped) while it was in the water column. My thought is that if it didn’t get sucked into the pump, it probably lost the back half via hermit crabs or something.

Thoughts? I am just trying to figure out if I should buy those NemGaurd covers for the MP40s.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
likely divine intervention.
Sorry, could not help myself.

I know very little about the shrimp birthing process, could possibly be a stressor that lead to it's death, though that is just me grasping at straws.

Could very well have been a molt issue. Could have been "attacked" mid molt by CUC or other tank inhabitants wanting an easy meal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back